Just picked up my first Android Phone..

Teamlegend

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey Android Central,

I got my very first Android phone a few days back after a long period of time with both the iPhone 4 & iPhone 4s. I decided on the Google Nexus 5 and got the 16gb model on contract and although I love it I have quite a few questions as a new Android user.

1. How can I access my USB Memory via USB OTG in apps like Emulators? (I can already plug it in and read all data on it)
2. Should I root it, and if so is it dangerous? I have have Jailbroken iPhones before.
3. Install android Apps on my USB Memory that's plugged in with OTG (Similar to questions 1)
4. Best music player?

Thanks for reading hope I can get some help.. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Android Central,

I got my very first Android phone a few days back after a long period of time with both the iPhone 4 & iPhone 4s. I decided on the Google Nexus 5 and got the 16gb model on contract and although I love it I have quite a few questions as a new Android user.

1. How can I access my USB Memory via USB OTG in apps like Emulators? (I can already plug it in and read all data on it)
2. Should I root it, and if so is it dangerous? I have have Jailbroken iPhones before.
3. Install android Apps on my USB Memory that's plugged in with OTG (Similar to questions 1)
4. Best music player?

Welcome to the forums and Android.
I am a little lost on what you mean about #1 and #3. Do you mean the internal memory?

#2 Rooting always has a few risks, but since it is a Nexus it is very difficult to brick. What to you want to do with root access?

#4. PowerAmp. free for the first week or two, $5 one time fee afterward, and it is worth every penny. I love that player.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey Android Central,

4. Best music player?

Welcome to the forums!

I'm almost certain that to connect USB OTG you'll need to be rooted - I don't think there is a way around that. Fortunately, you can if you decide to root. You'll need an app such as StickMount - Google Play Store to mount USB. Regarding moving apps to USB, that's something that is a little tricky. I know that you can move apps to the internal or external sd cards of a device when you are rooted, so I imagine that's no different with USB memory. However, I suspect force closes and errors since the USB may not be always connected to the device. If you must move apps do so on the sd card.

Regarding root, Golfdriver97 is right that a Nexus is almost impossible to brick since factory images are provided by Google and can be easily restored. So if you mess something up, you can restore factory and start over. Take a look at this blog post Jerry did a few years back regarding root, it's a good read and will give you more insight as to what it is and if it's for you: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

If you have further questions feel free to ask :)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Best music player for me is Poweramp. Don't worry you aren't in danger in rooting your device as srkmagnus and Golfdriver97 mentioned. Unleash the beast root today! Rooting would give you more possibilities in customizing your device

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. How can I access my USB Memory via USB OTG in apps like Emulators?
Using My Files (the default app that opens when you p;ug in a stick or card), assign it as UsbDriveA (or B or whichever one you want). Then point your emulator to that drive.

I don;t know of any app that will do it ("SD card usually means the microSD card installed in the phone). Titanium Backup Pro may, but I don't use it.

Ealevenish

Banned
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Rooting voids the warranty so I don't even consider it with a brandnew phone.
I may consider it if it's a) really necessary for my use, and if b) the phone is at least a year old.
Of course you might apply other 'rules', but if you root you're basically on your own!

iPhones are perfect for my sisters: it's simple, and it works.
But if you want to do more than yacking, chatting, and exchanging photos you need Android!
Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith