Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Duplicate names in contacts, 1 number and 1 Whatsapp?

I was helping my mom setup her new phone, I put in the sim card and each name has a duplicate with 1 number and 1 Whatsapp. I think there's some with Gmail as well. How do I combine it? I tried using GO Ex Contacts but it couldn't merge, it said there were no duplicates found, except 1 but with that contact both were numbers. There's about 400 contacts at the moment so it's gonna be a real pain to do it individually. Anyone know a fix? The phone is Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default Re: Duplicate names in contacts, 1 number and 1 Whatsapp?

If you sign into https://www.google.com/contacts/ on your computer. Select "more", there is an option to "find and merge duplicates". Hope that helps.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by nedia_r View Post
    If you sign into https://www.google.com/contacts/ on your computer. Select "more", there is an option to "find and merge duplicates". Hope that helps.
    There are no contacts under google>contacts. How do I get it up from my phone. Also, will this merge the contacts in the phone book as well?

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I would turn contact syncing on. Then when they are all synced, delete them from the phone. And then merge any duplicates in Google contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete18 View Post
    I was helping my mom setup her new phone, I put in the sim card and each name has a duplicate with 1 number and 1 Whatsapp. I think there's some with Gmail as well. How do I combine it? I tried using GO Ex Contacts but it couldn't merge, it said there were no duplicates found, except 1 but with that contact both were numbers. There's about 400 contacts at the moment so it's gonna be a real pain to do it individually. Anyone know a fix? The phone is Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus.
    Same problem here. Some whatsapp contacts are merged with my contacts in the contact list but some are not. I cannot delete the Whatsapp contacts because they are read only. After trying for several days I have not found a method to merge the contacts. They do not appear in Google+ contacts. This really bugs me.

I'm fed up that there is no solution for those read only contacts. No matter what I tell whatsapp or Waze, those contacts still do appear in google only contacts but as read only, even when I try to catch the moment 'don't sync.' It's been so long and the app developers or mighty Google - none of them found any solutions.

Same problem... Is there something new about that?

When I edit the name of a contact name in google, it keeps the old one too (whatsapp readonly type). I don't know how to fix that.