Why can't I hear the people I call on my Galaxy S4?

jorgeg73

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4: No Sound In calls

This piece of S... doesn't let me post link so go to xda - developers . com, on the search box (upper midle, search all forum) type antares, look for "Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505"

Richard Nattoo

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site

i tried everything....reboot the phone, google settings, reinstalled the rom, factory reset, sim card replace....still nothing...this is depressing

nana1108

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

My solution was disabling and clearing cache of google drive.

My story:
I was using my phone with my car's Bluetooth connection very frequently. After one occasion:
watching video on my phone while it was connected with Bluetooth to my car's speakers. (I used like this in the past as well without any error.)
After this I was able to hear call audio only with using Bluetooth devices (either my car's speakers or a Bluetooth headset).
I could resolve the 1st occurrence of this error with a deep power reset (battery+SIM+SD card removal and pushing the power button for 30s).

Than I used my car's Bluetooth again -> no call audio again afterwards.
The power reset was not working anymore.

The official Android 5.0 update just came out yesterday for my country.
I updated the firmware with the official ROM. And the problem gone once again. At least I though after testing the call audio with one call.
But today it was not working again.

So I tried everything from this forum and the disabling and clearing cache of Google drive resolved my problem.
It shouldn't have anything to do with Bluetooth, though I could start at least 4 calls with hearing in call audio once again.

Some other things I tried without success: reconfiguring audio routing with SoundAbout app, "OK google" disabling, S voice disabling, lint removal, removing paired Bluetooth devices, different shutdown sequence when connected to my car's Bluetooth, toggling airplane mode.

I lost all of my faith to Samsung. The in call audio is the essential feature of the phone, such an error should not happen any time.:(

Good luck to find your solution for the same issue!

Petronilo Pemex

May 10, 2015
Visit site
To everybody, who experience to no hear the other side call person, and they can't hear you, just go to settings, select connections, then more networks, then mobile networks, then network mode, and finally select the WCDMA/GSM (auto connect), this will fix this issue.
This is caused for a basebands updates on gsm networks, also when you are using a 4G SimCard.
I hope this can help you guys!

Andosonson

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

I already spend 2 days trying to fix this problem without success (flashing, hard resetting, etc), I think there is no logical Solution for this because we don't know the exact cause of such error. installing 2Gis Dialer and update Google play service works one time but only for 2 minutes. There is no permanent solution...
PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tash211

May 31, 2015
Visit site
the issue is definitely with bluetooth as someone previously had suggested. I have had this ph for over 2 years now and never had this issue once. I just recently purchased a bluetooth speaker and connected to my pc it was previously connected to my ph, well ever since its been having audio problems.
so I am 99% on the cause but don;t have a solution.

Quincy Dancer

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I endured this issue for 3 mos.

My phone voice (voicemail, calling) from the hand set would not provide any sound whatsoever. It would only work if I connected my bluetooth head set.

I finally got it fixed.

Goto Google app Settings > Search & Now > Voice > "OK Google" detection:

1. Turn on or off (mine was off) 'From the Google App'
2. Turn on of off (mine was off) "From any screen", it will make you say "ÖK Google" 3 times to build in the configuration.
3. Test OK Google functionality.
4. Reboot
5. Try using your phone without bluetooth and or earbuds, etc.
6. If it works, go back to settings and turn off "From any screen"
7. Reboot

Problem should be fixed.

Conclusion, I think mine broke on a software update for google now, combined with some bluetooth settings I must have been fidgeting with at the time. Its a software issue, not a hardware issue. I was 5 seconds away from factory resetting my whole phone. Thank google, this worked.

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
SOLVED

Device: S4 on AT&T with v4.4.4

Source of problem: Google Search App | Settings | Voice | "Ok Google" detection | From Any screen is on. When it's on, you'll get 1-2 calls and then you'll stop hearing sound. When off, no problems. Only way to get sound back is phone reboot.

After that setting is off and you've rebooted, if still having problems then go to App Settings | Google Play Services | Clear cache, clear all data. Reboot phone, make sure setting still off. Re-login to google services/location history services etc.

Thanks,
David Tr

Rowan Chatterjee

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
This is happening to me too. When I call someone, I can't hear them, and they claim that they can't here me, but they have a low buzzing sound going on there end. This started right after I got a new case. The case has some magnets on it. If I could please get some help, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Last edited:

sante140

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site

I got similar problem on I9505 .

receiver works, tested with *#0*#, speaker works fine for music, phone sound, but when i try to call i get no sound at all, also not on the speaker.

Already did factory reset > no result.
replaced audio jack >> no result
replaced front speaker >> no result

If i use hands-free set, i can call via bluetooth, that works.
Also can play music on my bluetooth speaker.

driving me nuts!!

Ben Moon

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue. I fixed it by going to the app store, searching for "Google Now", and then updating it. After that everything seems to work.

Alberto Ferraz

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

Found problem had the same issue two days after I got my phone. This seams to work.

Settings> More Networks> Mobile Networks.
THEN, set network mode to LTE/CDMA then set GLOBAL DATA ROAMING ACCESS to "Deny all data roaming access"

(May not work if you have wifi on, but should)

F Albert

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Cannot believe just the dust in the headset port. BUT...

Did the battery removal, SIM card and memory card removed. Stuck a toothpick in the hole (softly to loosen any dust in the hole) Blew in it and put everything back in and POOF it worked! Not sure if it was the dust theory or the battery removal. But it's working for now, best bet not sticking anything in the headphone port. :-$ :'(

kim minty

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site

HI everyone

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 on android 4.3
Recently i tried to make multiple phone calls and when in the call i haven't been able to hear the person on the other end and they cant hear me (This also happens when i receive a call)
however when my friend calls me over skype on my phone the speaker and mic is working perfectly fine and we can talk

the only thing i can think of is that recently i hooked up my bluetooth headset to my phone and made a phone call to a friend and since then i haven't been able to hear anyone when making a phone call

can anyone help
Thanks

Kari Parkkinen

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I had also this frustrating issue. 100% working solution for me (S4 with 5.01 Lolipop) was de-activating "driving mode". With driving mode activated phone transfers mic & voice to Bluetooth or headphone jacket...disabling main speaker & mic. Google "disable driving mode" or "Remove Hands Fee Activation" +Samsung Galaxy S4.