keylogger in my device

Gevio WhiteWizard

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys , so lately i installed a swiftkey app but the original file is not free so i decided to get it from google as an apk file and i used ot for about 5 minutes cause i dont like it and when i connected my tablet to my pc i saw a txt file named keylogger and i saw there the things i typed when i was using swift key , why did that hsppen ?

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys , so lately i installed a swiftkey app but the original file is not free so i decided to get it from google as an apk file and i used ot for about 5 minutes cause i dont like it and when i connected my tablet to my pc i saw a txt file named keylogger and i saw there the things i typed when i was using swift key , why did that hsppen ?

Probably because you used a cracked version of the app instead of buying it from the Play Store.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Given the way some of these cracked apps work, I would take some measures to ensure your passwords aren't compromised. Change them all. If you typed it on your phone, I would assume it's compromised. You have no idea what got sent where if that's a cracked app running a keylogger.

Yes but was swiftkey.apk a keylogger ? I uninstalled it immidiatly after i saw that txt file named keylogger

The official version of SwiftKey doesn't do anything nefarious with what you type. If you acquire an APK from somewhere other than the Play Store the possibility exists that it was opened up and extra code was put in there by a less than honest person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gevio WhiteWizard

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes i understand i used it for just about 5 minutes or less just tested it with a sms i texted to my uncle nothing else

I uninstalled it now , am i safe ?

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on where you got it. I installed the SwiftKey beta apk directly from SwiftKey's website, and I am confident in my download. But if you downloaded it from a less than desirable website, then it could most certainly be a problem.

Btw, I got SwiftKey free legitimately a while back. If money is very tight that you can not afford to pay for it then wait and it will probably go on sale sometime, if you don't want the beta. Or who knows it might be free again, though not likely

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Sansung Galaxy S III

Gevio WhiteWizard

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Its not the problem that i dont have money but i am only 14 and i dont have a credit card ... anywhay what should i do to disable the keylogger if it is active and i have an antivirus , why hasnt that found it

posted via Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 , 7.0

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Its not the problem that i dont have money but i am only 14 and i dont have a credit card ... anywhay what should i do to disable the keylogger if it is active and i have an antivirus , why hasnt that found it

Factory reset would be the safest thing. But they might have already stolen information, depending on what you typed. Can't do anything about it now though.

You can buy a visa prepaid card with cash at a lot of stores. Do read the terms of course, there are probably fees associated with them

Gevio WhiteWizard

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I only typed with it just a few lines , there is no information with that i typed. I have too many apps and i dont want to reset the whoole thing ...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I only typed with it just a few lines , there is no information with that i typed. I have too many apps and i dont want to reset the whoole thing ...

It isn't just key logging but who knows what else it can do. It might give them remote access to your files for all I know. And un installing might not remove the malware or virus

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

As has been said, you stole the app.

Yes but was swiftkey.apk a keylogger ? I uninstalled it immidiatly after i saw that txt file named keylogger

Not likely, probably a the place that gave you the stolen app added it there. They aren't stealing things for you for free.

I uninstalled it now , am i safe ?

No one can tell you at all, we don't know what was installed, nor where. I wouldn't really help you, as I almost see it as helping theft.

Anti-Virus on an Android isn't the same as on a PC, as it doesn't have to be. There is a *chance* that SwiftKey made this empty file on purpose to mess with people who steal their app. I remember GTA (IV I think) kept you in Drunk Mode if you stole the app.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I didnt mean to steal it i just wanted to test it and i didnt like it ....

But there is a free trial! It's okay, just learn from your mistake and don't do it again. A factory reset should be sufficient enough to clear the internal storage clean. After that, you should be fine.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe that in the kk update, Samsung only allows non pre installed apps access to all directories. Other installed apps can only access it's own directory. So before, an app can access and mess up other apps theoretically. That is why I recommend a factory data reset.

I know many people complain about this, but personally, I don't think it is a bad thing

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie