Sort apps by usage

kenyiuw

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I've got a ton of apps, so I'm looking for an app drawer replacement that allows me to sort apps by frequency of use. I'm imagining a list view that will sort my most used apps to the top (I'm bad at remembering app names, so it always takes me a while to find something).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer some sort of standalone app organizer, not a launcher replacement, since I like the launcher I'm currently using. Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've got a ton of apps, so I'm looking for an app drawer replacement that allows me to sort apps by frequency of use. I'm imagining a list view that will sort my most used apps to the top (I'm bad at remembering app names, so it always takes me a while to find something).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer some sort of standalone app organizer, not a launcher replacement, since I like the launcher I'm currently using. Thanks!
Welcome to the forums!

I don't think there is anything you can use that doesn't change the launcher. The app drawer is tied to the launcher, so changing that would require a replacement f the launcher.

Have you considered folders on the desktop organized by category? For example, have one labeled for games, social, productivity, etc. If you know what apps are used most then you can also create a folder with those. Just long press the desktop and select the folder option. Dragging one app over the other should also create the folder as well. Let us know if you have any questions.

rdx711

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

I don't think there is anything you can use that doesn't change the launcher. The app drawer is tied to the launcher, so changing that would require a replacement f the launcher.

Have you considered folders on the desktop organized by category? For example, have one labeled for games, social, productivity, etc. If you know what apps are used most then you can also create a folder with those. Just long press the desktop and select the folder option. Dragging one app over the other should also create the folder as well. Let us know if you have any questions.

I have the same problem but I want a launcher that arranges apps as per my usage. Know any launchers?

rdx711

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
There is an app on Google Play called "Most Used Apps Widget" which can be used as an app containing list of all apps sorted by use or it can also be used as a widget on home screen.

However, it only considers the apps launched from within itself towards counting the number of times a particular app is launched.

Earlier I was using Holo Launcher on my Android 2.3.6 which had a app drawer tab called "Favorite" which also sorts apps by use. But it was not compatible with my new Android KitKat 4.4.4. So I am trying out the "Most Used Apps Widget".

Edit 1: I am using Solo Launcher which serves my purpose perfectly. It sorts all apps in the app drawer by Name, Most used, Date installed, etc.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem but I want a launcher that arranges apps as per my usage. Know any launchers?
I don't have a third-party launcher currently installed, but most have options to customize the app drawer. Take a look at a few and see if the feature you are looking for is there.

Also, you may want to consider placing apps that are most used into a folder on the desktop. This prevents clutter and gives you quick access to the apps and services you most often use.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Other than the widget, you'd have to change the launcher. The app drawer is part of the launcher, you can't change just the app drawer without rewriting the whole launcher (and you're not going to get the source code, so you can't).

Mobie, although I really don't like it, is actually based on that idea - the apps you use most often are the ones easiest to get to. (Install it. Set it as your "Always" launcher and try it for a while. If you don't like it, you can clear defaults on Mobie (that just means that it's not the default launcher any more). Then, when you press home, or close an app, you'll be asked to choose a launcher, and you can make the one you're using now the default ("Always").

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr