Want to use Older Version of Google Maps

belsen

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The phone is a Samsung Note 2 that is a little more than a year old.

Don't like the newer versions of Google Maps 7.0.2 and later. Want to go back to v6.14.4. Did uninstall but that only took it back to v7.0.2. Internet search gave a link to 6.14.4 download and suggested using Nova Launcher workaround would be needed to installed Maps. So I found Nova and installed it on the Samsung Note 2 and that is working. But I need some help in using Nova Launcher to install downloaded file "Maps_6.14.4-1.apk".

As a side note, just purchased a LG G2 and Google Maps was the factory older version 6.14.3. I was glad to see the old tried and true Google navigation that includes alternate routes and terrain. Then in a day or so it did an automatic update and I had the dang new version of Maps, which I dislike immensely. One quick uninstall and I was a happy camper again.

Your help and support will bring back some peace of mind!

Bill

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The phone is a Samsung Note 2 that is a little more than a year old.

Don't like the newer versions of Google Maps 7.0.2 and later. Want to go back to v6.14.4. Did uninstall but that only took it back to v7.0.2. Internet search gave a link to 6.14.4 download and suggested using Nova Launcher workaround would be needed to installed Maps. So I found Nova and installed it on the Samsung Note 2 and that is working. But I need some help in using Nova Launcher to install downloaded file "Maps_6.14.4-1.apk".

As a side note, just purchased a LG G2 and Google Maps was the factory older version 6.14.3. I was glad to see the old tried and true Google navigation that includes alternate routes and terrain. Then in a day or so it did an automatic update and I had the dang new version of Maps, which I dislike immensely. One quick uninstall and I was a happy camper again.

Your help and support will bring back some peace of mind!

Bill

Welcome to Android Central :)
The APK should be able to install directly from the web, so you don't need to do anything with Nova launcher. Just make sure you have unknown sources checked in developer options.
If that doesn't work, you can use Helium on the G2 and use that to back up the Maps APK, and then install it on the Note 2
Link for Helium: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=DkEBV27n

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

John Krehmke

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi Bill. I have to agree with you about the new google maps. I feel like google is turning into an Apple ! Give me some freedom. As I am looking to upgrade my old Razr HD to a newer Moto X the maps issue is a deal breaker for me. I did find this post but am not sure if it will work on a non-rooted kit kat phone.
If I can find out that it works I'll be a happy camper with a new Moto X.
[APP][MOD] Good old google maps 6! - Parallel install to regular google maps - xda-developers

John Krehmke

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I tried to install the old 6.14.1 on my new Moto X and it just fails at the install. I do have Kit Kat 4.4 on my new phone. Yes, I did check the setting to allow 3rd. party apps to be installed. I was told that all I need to do was open the file and it loads by itself. It does go through the process and says "install failed" at the end of installation. OMG, I want my old Google maps back so bad !

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Maps 7.7 DOES allow alternate routes. Not on every trip, but when there's a sensible alternate.

2) If you install an app called My Directions, it almost makes Maps usable. It''s a name and address directory. You choose your destination, click Search and it runs Maps set to go to that address. Much easier than doing it in Maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC