Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Samsung Tablet is a US device - cannot be repaired in UK under warranty (I live in the UK)

I was having problems regarding my new Tab Pro 10.1 I recently purchased (battery wouldn't charge past 10%), and was wanting to send it back and have it fixed under warranty (or replaced). The device is a US device that was purchased and I live in the UK.

I contacted Samsung (UK) and gave them my details and whatever and they said that they can book it in for repair as it is covered under warranty, etc etc. But then I receive another phone call saying as the item has a US serial code it cannot be returned and fixed within the UK, and that I will have to contact the US centre and probably have to pay for it all?? Is this correct? The woman told me the software and hardware is completely different - surely not when it is the same tablet?

Has anyone else experienced "trans-atlantic" warranty issues with Samsung (or any other manufacturer?).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Re: My Samsung Tablet is a US device - cannot be repaired in UK under warranty (I live in the UK)

American mobile devices and 3G/4G tablets usually differ from the rest of the world because of differences in the spectrum supported by the device and the telecommunication infrastructure (GSM or CDMA).So it is advisable to purchase the devices from your local retailer.
    Trans atlantic issues are common in case of mobile devices but quite easily resolved in case of laptops. Laptops nowadays have global warranty
    Banned

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Re: My Samsung Tablet is a US device - cannot be repaired in UK under warranty (I live in the UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Kennedy View Post
    I was having problems regarding my new Tab Pro 10.1 I recently purchased (battery wouldn't charge past 10%), and was wanting to send it back and have it fixed under warranty (or replaced). The device is a US device that was purchased and I live in the UK.

I contacted Samsung (UK) and gave them my details and whatever and they said that they can book it in for repair as it is covered under warranty, etc etc. But then I receive another phone call saying as the item has a US serial code it cannot be returned and fixed within the UK, and that I will have to contact the US centre and probably have to pay for it all?? Is this correct? The woman told me the software and hardware is completely different - surely not when it is the same tablet?

Has anyone else experienced "trans-atlantic" warranty issues with Samsung (or any other manufacturer?).

Thanks in advance for any help!
    I call BS on their response. You have great consumer protection laws over there, and Samsung have a legal obligation to repair your tablet. It doesn't matter where it is made or how much of a pain it is for Samsung. They still have to honor the warranty.

I would look up the relevant laws, call Samsung back, and recite the laws at them. If that doesn't work I would pursue legal options.

Global Posts
    5,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Samsung's officially stated warranty policy is that their products won't be repaired outside the country in which they were purchased. (Because the repair centers in the UK don't have th software to repair US products.) No country has yet said that this is a violation of any law. Caveat emptor.

@Nate:
    They will - if you bring or send it to a US repair center and give them a US address to which to return it (they're not going to pay international shipping, nor should they)..
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Kennedy View Post
    But then I receive another phone call saying as the item has a US serial code it cannot be returned and fixed within the UK, and that I will have to contact the US centre and probably have to pay for it all?? Is this correct?
    Yes.
    It's why I never buy warranty-sensitive stuff overseas. No matter how insanely great the deal seems to be. The operative word here is 'seems'!