I was having problems regarding my new Tab Pro 10.1 I recently purchased (battery wouldn't charge past 10%), and was wanting to send it back and have it fixed under warranty (or replaced). The device is a US device that was purchased and I live in the UK.

I contacted Samsung (UK) and gave them my details and whatever and they said that they can book it in for repair as it is covered under warranty, etc etc. But then I receive another phone call saying as the item has a US serial code it cannot be returned and fixed within the UK, and that I will have to contact the US centre and probably have to pay for it all?? Is this correct? The woman told me the software and hardware is completely different - surely not when it is the same tablet?

Has anyone else experienced "trans-atlantic" warranty issues with Samsung (or any other manufacturer?).

Thanks in advance for any help!
    03-11-2014 11:58 AM
    American mobile devices and 3G/4G tablets usually differ from the rest of the world because of differences in the spectrum supported by the device and the telecommunication infrastructure (GSM or CDMA).So it is advisable to purchase the devices from your local retailer.
    Trans atlantic issues are common in case of mobile devices but quite easily resolved in case of laptops. Laptops nowadays have global warranty
    03-11-2014 01:04 PM
    I was having problems regarding my new Tab Pro 10.1 I recently purchased (battery wouldn't charge past 10%), and was wanting to send it back and have it fixed under warranty (or replaced). The device is a US device that was purchased and I live in the UK.

I contacted Samsung (UK) and gave them my details and whatever and they said that they can book it in for repair as it is covered under warranty, etc etc. But then I receive another phone call saying as the item has a US serial code it cannot be returned and fixed within the UK, and that I will have to contact the US centre and probably have to pay for it all?? Is this correct? The woman told me the software and hardware is completely different - surely not when it is the same tablet?

Has anyone else experienced "trans-atlantic" warranty issues with Samsung (or any other manufacturer?).

Thanks in advance for any help!
    I call BS on their response. You have great consumer protection laws over there, and Samsung have a legal obligation to repair your tablet. It doesn't matter where it is made or how much of a pain it is for Samsung. They still have to honor the warranty.

I would look up the relevant laws, call Samsung back, and recite the laws at them. If that doesn't work I would pursue legal options.
    03-11-2014 01:32 PM
    Samsung's officially stated warranty policy is that their products won't be repaired outside the country in which they were purchased. (Because the repair centers in the UK don't have th software to repair US products.) No country has yet said that this is a violation of any law. Caveat emptor.

@Nate:
    They will - if you bring or send it to a US repair center and give them a US address to which to return it (they're not going to pay international shipping, nor should they)..
    03-11-2014 03:44 PM
    But then I receive another phone call saying as the item has a US serial code it cannot be returned and fixed within the UK, and that I will have to contact the US centre and probably have to pay for it all?? Is this correct?
    Yes.
    It's why I never buy warranty-sensitive stuff overseas. No matter how insanely great the deal seems to be. The operative word here is 'seems'!
    03-11-2014 04:20 PM
    The same here, I brought SG6 edge from Dubai. I was told by independent repair centre had said because of overcharging over-night cause mobile went blank. Even with warranty still, he said send to Samsung. UK centres don’t have the training because of software is differnet.

It is stupid since this mobile is international product!

It is do with motherboard need to be replace.

Have you manage to get your device fix?

I emailed, webcam and it is take too long to wait for answers.

That teach me a lesson not to buy one! That mobile is still new under a year now.
    05-10-2016 05:46 AM
    Hi

I realise this is not a new thread but wonder if it was ever resolved.

I have a similar issue with an S2 tablet bought in Samsung's store in the Doha, Qatar last year. I live in N.Ireland The unit overheats badly and I want it repaired/replaced under warranty. At the time of purchase I was told that it had a 2 year worldwide warranty. When it started to give trouble, I was told to bring it into my nearest Samsung centre for repair. There it came to light that the unit originated in UAE but was assured that it wold be collected by courier and repaired somewhere in the UK.

When this did not happen and several emails later I was offered the following explanation by Samsung UK

"I do apologise, as much as we want to have your device repaired in the UK,
    > warranty terms differ between regions since hardware and software
    > specifications differ to match the requirements of each global area. Due to
    > this, our engineers can only inspect and repair UK/EU devices. Since your
    > device is from outside the UK/EU, it would need to be investigated by
    > engineers that are able to repair devices within the region it was
    > manufactured for."

Obviously their interpretation of worldwide is very different from their customers. It makes you wonder why do Samsung have their own outlets in the Duty Free areas of transit airports when most of the customers who buy there, end up with products that they cannot realistically get repaired when they get home! Shame on you Samsung
    11-01-2016 09:24 AM
    You have my sympathies but not sure I can help much as I have the same problem with a Samsung mobile that I bought when in America last Xmas. Samsung UK told me it would need to be dealt with by Samsung USA. I then spent ages in an online chat until I established that they would only accept it for return from a US address. I then managed to get a friend's mum to take it over when she went to visit my friend in America. She contacted Samsung USA who said we would have to contact the store where we bought it from which as it was a gift I have no idea where that was.... so my phone is in America, no-one will accept responsibility for sorting out the issue (a software problem I suspect) and I am at my wits end with it all.
    This morning I emailed Samsung's CEO office Contact Us | Samsung IN and lodged a complaint..... too ealry to say if will have any impact at all.
    If you bought it on credit card it might be worth trying that as a route - although as I say in my case it was bought by someone else.
    Would really appreciate some advice from anyone who may have any ideas how to get this sorted.
    11-13-2016 05:21 AM
    You have my sympathies but not sure I can help much as I have the same problem with a Samsung mobile that I bought when in America last Xmas. Samsung UK told me it would need to be dealt with by Samsung USA. I then spent ages in an online chat until I established that they would only accept it for return from a US address. I then managed to get a friend's mum to take it over when she went to visit my friend in America. She contacted Samsung USA who said we would have to contact the store where we bought it from which as it was a gift I have no idea where that was.... so my phone is in America, no-one will accept responsibility for sorting out the issue (a software problem I suspect) and I am at my wits end with it all.
    This morning I emailed Samsung's CEO office Contact Us | Samsung IN and lodged a complaint..... too ealry to say if will have any impact at all.
    If you bought it on credit card it might be worth trying that as a route - although as I say in my case it was bought by someone else.
    Would really appreciate some advice from anyone who may have any ideas how to get this sorted.
    This is unbelievable.... I have been given the same blurb by Samsung for my faulty Gear S2 Classic Smartwatch that I purchased on 30th December 2015!

It is stuck in reboot loop following update of the Samsung GEAR android app and Samsung UK refusing to repair under warranty despite telling me it has 24 month warranty. Told me my serial number is a non-EU model so won't be able to repair.
    I have reverted back to eGlobal Central UK - Online Shopping Store with Low Price on All Latest and Branded Consumer Electronics and Gagdets who I purchased the watch off in good faith that the co.uk meant I was to receive a UK model however they say they only cover for 12 months and when I contacted them on 4th January 2017, I was now out of this warranty by 5 days.
    Samsung UK said retailers should make you aware of this regional warranty issue at the point of sale... mine didn't and are now refusing to assist my repair!

HELP!!!!!
    01-07-2017 01:19 AM
    I have the same problem with Samsung phone bought in Germany, which, to my surprise, can not be fixed in Australia. I decided to buy Samsung smartphone, especialy because I thought they have international warranty. Will never buy an expensive phone again!!

So, have you sent your tablet to service centre in US after all??
    01-08-2017 01:34 AM