Screen won't stay off when charging via dock.

markwalker84

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

New guy here wondering if anyone else has come across this before.

I was going to put this in the Z1 Compact specific forum, but I figured it might be something that affects other phones so am trying here.

Done a bunch of searching / googling and can't seem to find anyone else with the exact same issue so fingers crossed.

I've got a new Sony Z1 Compact (Great phone by the way!)
I wanted to make use of the magnetic charging port so picked up a dock, a couple of cables and a couple of USB -> Magnetic charger adaptors.

The cables works absolutely fine and charges away very happily.
My dock, and my USB -> Magnetic charger adaptor however both try to put the device into Dock mode.

That in itself works OK, but the problem comes when I want the screen to stay "OFF".
The phone will constantly wake itself up - about once every 90 seconds or so.
The screen comes on, and then times out and goes black again.
It's almost as if someone was pressing the "power" button.

This is obviously very annoying!

Anyone seen this before?

EDIT: As I was writing this I have been trying using the "Daydream" feature to just show a black image.
This also doesn't work... every 90 seconds or so it will return to the home screen before fading back to the daydream screen.

ARGH!!!!!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

New guy here wondering if anyone else has come across this before.

I was going to put this in the Z1 Compact specific forum, but I figured it might be something that affects other phones so am trying here.

Done a bunch of searching / googling and can't seem to find anyone else with the exact same issue so fingers crossed.

I've got a new Sony Z1 Compact (Great phone by the way!)
I wanted to make use of the magnetic charging port so picked up a dock, a couple of cables and a couple of USB -> Magnetic charger adaptors.

The cables works absolutely fine and charges away very happily.
My dock, and my USB -> Magnetic charger adaptor however both try to put the device into Dock mode.

That in itself works OK, but the problem comes when I want the screen to stay "OFF".
The phone will constantly wake itself up - about once every 90 seconds or so.
The screen comes on, and then times out and goes black again.
It's almost as if someone was pressing the "power" button.

This is obviously very annoying!

Anyone seen this before?

EDIT: As I was writing this I have been trying using the "Daydream" feature to just show a black image.
This also doesn't work... every 90 seconds or so it will return to the home screen before fading back to the daydream screen.

ARGH!!!!!

If you're using the charging ports on the side I'm not sure you can turn dock mode off. It's designed to work that way.

Have you went through all of the settings and made sure you don't have an option to turn that off?

markwalker84

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Problem solved.

Feeling pretty stupid about this now... But turns out it was actually a dodgy Mains -> USB converter plug thingy.
Tried it from a USB port on my laptop and from a different plug and all worked fine.

Doh!

Andreas Sigvathsen

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Problem solved.

Feeling pretty stupid about this now... But turns out it was actually a dodgy Mains -> USB converter plug thingy.
Tried it from a USB port on my laptop and from a different plug and all worked fine.

Doh!

But you can't connect the dock to a computer's USB port, can you? I'm pretty sure that's not possible (of course it's physically possible, but it won't charge). Are you sure you found the actual solution to your problem? My girlfriend have this too, and there are no "dodgy mains".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800