Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ringtones-Im new to android

Thanks in advance for any replies,

My new phone arrived this morning. Samsung 4. Previously always had iPhone.
    I wondered is there a way of getting free ringtones and text tones? I'm thinking blur song 2 in particular for a ringtone.

I don't have a pc/laptop at the moment so can't use that, I just have my phone.

I don't have any music on my phone yet. Probably won't bother as I use spotify.

Thanks
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Default Re: Ringtones-Im new to android

Quote Originally Posted by millerblade View Post
    Thanks in advance for any replies,

My new phone arrived this morning. Samsung 4.
    Do you mean the S4?
    If so, congratulations. That's an excellent phone.

Previously always had iPhone.
    We all make mistakes.

I wondered is there a way of getting free ringtones and text tones?
    I would suggest you check out one of the myriad free ringtone apps in the Play Store.

I'm thinking blur song 2 in particular for a ringtone.
    To make your own ringtone you will want to check out a couple of these free apps.

I don't have a pc/laptop at the moment so can't use that, I just have my phone.
    That's very unfortunate. I recommend you get one asap – with a web connection! – to interact with and make the most of your new phone.

I don't have any music on my phone yet. Probably won't bother as I use spotify.
    Spotify is a streaming music service. Streaming eats up your phone's monthly dataplan and your battery fast if you use it while you are mobile (not on WiFi). Listening to music that's resident on your phone 'only' eats your battery...

Enjoy your new phone!

Might try the Zedge app which u can find in the Play Store.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

What I tend to do is stream to my phone when in wife area and sync to my phone. That way I can turn data off before playing songs and it doesn't use data.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I've downloaded ZEDGE- I've downloaded 'ringtones' and 'notification sounds' ringtones work fine. HOWEVER it won't let me using a notification sound as a text tone! It will only use ringtones, which obviously the sound goes on too long for a text tone!

Please help
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by millerblade View Post
    I've downloaded ZEDGE- I've downloaded 'ringtones' and 'notification sounds' ringtones work fine. HOWEVER it won't let me using a notification sound as a text tone! It will only use ringtones, which obviously the sound goes on too long for a text tone!

Please help
    Change the notification sounds of SMS apps in the settings of those SMS apps. So open the SMS app and go to Settings.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I have gone into 'MESSAGING' then clicked the menu button and gone into settings. Scrolled right down the bottom where the header is NOTIFICATION SETTINGS ive then clicked on SELECT RINGTONE (why it says ringtone and not message tone god knows) then clicked on ZEDGE and there is 3 ringtones showing (NOT THE NOTIFICATION SOUNDS I WANTED)

Hope thats a bit clearer :/
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

I.o.w. Zedge claims to download notification sounds but doesn't IRL. And if there aren't any notification sounds to choose from the SMS app obviously can't activate any.
    Try finding another source of notification sounds to download.

If you use a file manager app like ES File Explorer or Total Commander, you could move any sound file to the Notifications folder (the directory is /storage/emulated/0/Notifications, or /storage/sdcard0/Notifications). Then when you go back to the settings for Messaging and bring up Notification tone options, those new sound files should be available. That's how I've done it.

Global Posts
    5,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Zedge has tons (if a song weighed an ounce, that would be literally a ton, at least) of tones.

I recommend Ringtone Maker (on both of Ealevenish's links) to modify any tone you use. Shorten it, pick a piece in the middle, change the volume. (It's not Audacity, but it's close enough for ringtone making.) Unfortunately there's nothing like Audio Record Wizard for Android, but one of the recording apps might do the job. Then just find a tune you like on the web, record it, run it into Ringtone Maker to trim it to what you want and use a file manager to put it into Ringtones, Alarms, Notifications, wherever you want it. (I've done that with Windows [because that's how I'm usually here] for people in our ringtone forum who wanted particular ringtones.)

If it hasn't been mentioned already, I think RingDroid is a pretty good app.