Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KeenAndroid3
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trouble turning off unnecessary preinstalled apps (Android Note 3)

Every time I try to 'Turn Off' an app like ANT Radio Service, I get the message:

"This application will be replaced with the factory version"

How can I 'Turn Off' unnecessary apps successfully (without installing something else automatically) ?

Do I need ANT Radio service to connect to my home wifi ?

Default Re: Trouble turning off unnecessary preinstalled apps (Android Note 3)

Ant is for Bluetooth. The reason that you have to uninstall was because it was updated. You have to remove the update before can disable it. Optionally, you can disable automatic updates, however if the app already updated then you will have to uninstall the update manually.

You can do a factory data reset to restore all apps to the default state, and disable automatic app update, if it bothers you so much but personally I don't think it would be worth the effort.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to Android Central! I second what dpham00 says. If you uninstall updates, it will seem like it's installing something new, but all it's doing is reverting back to the original factory version of the app. Once that is done, you can then turn it off.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks very much, guys! I understand now. I do use BT to connect to my car, so I also now realize that ANT is one I really do want to keep.

I will search for threads related to APPs that I should turn off. The phone recently has become slower
    B. Diddy likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KeenAndroid3 View Post
    I will search for threads related to APPs that I should turn off.
    In Android you don't need to turn off apps, if you even can.

The phone recently has become slower
    Did you update the Android version? Or is your internal memory (sd0) filling up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ealevenish View Post
    In Android you don't need to turn off apps, if you even can.
    He's referring to Disabling an app--I think it's called "Turn Off" if the system language is set to English (UK). Disabling an app can improve efficiency a little by preventing completely unused apps from opening automatically and taking up system RAM that could be used for another app that you're more liable to use.
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Disabling an app can improve efficiency a little by preventing completely unused apps from opening automatically and taking up system RAM that could be used for another app that you're more liable to use.
    Sure, but you can't disable pre-installed apps on an unrooted device. They'll simply 'restart' automatically. Within minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealevenish View Post
    Sure, but you can't disable pre-installed apps on an unrooted device. They'll simply 'restart' automatically. Within minutes.
    You might be thinking of Force Stopping, which will not prevent the app from restarting on its own. Disabling the app will make it go dormant until you Enable it again.

That being said, not all preinstalled apps can be disabled.

Posted via Android Central App