Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 crashes unexpectedly following android 4.4 Kitkat update

Hi there, Yesterday I updated my GS4 to android 4.4 Kitkat through Samsung Kies. It seemed to be running smoothly initially but soon it began to crash randomly. When I tried to turn it on again it would crash again. At this point it was on about 40% charge so I plugged it in and it turned on with no problems. I had no such issues using android 4.3. It now dies at around 40-50% charge and won't turn on every time until I plug it in. Can anyone help me? It had crossed my mind that it could be an issue with my device battery but seeing as I have never had any battery troubles before the update, I think that the new firmware is likely the cause of my woes.
    Cheers for any help in advance,
    Daniel

Default Re: Galaxy S4 crashes unexpectedly following android 4.4 Kitkat update

I'm having a battery issue after the update as well. Battery takes forever to charge (even overnight would only charge to 80% or so) and drains quickly...I need help. I know it has something to do with this latest update. I tried to kill apps and such, factory reset, etc. nothing seem to work. I'm even charging it powered off...If this doesn't fix it, I will try a new cable. Let's hope.

Global Posts
    9,464 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Daniel, try wiping cache from recovery. Power off the device, hold volume up+home+power until the recovery loads. Scroll down to wipe cache then reboot. See if that helps. If it doesn't then try a factory reset.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the reply. I have already done a factory reset and the issue hasn't gone away. I sent Samsung a tweet and a Facebook message as well but haven't got a reply yet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

Sorry to break it to you. I've tried Samsun 3 times and they couldn't help. Not even aware there is a problem..go figure.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I have been using my GS4 for a couple of hours with only one crash. Fingers crossed the problem has fixed itself.
    I'll post an update later
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I might have found the solution... check this out- Sounds identical to my issue
    Phone keeps on turning on and off by its self

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Just an update. My issues had nothing to do with the Kitkat update, but rather my phones battery, which was one of a large number of defective batteries shipped with the Galaxy S4 smartphone. If anyone has similar issues; the device switching itself off randomly, battery drain etc., you can find out if your battery is the problem by taking it out of your phone. If it is swollen or spins freely on a flat level surface then the battery is the problem. Samsung will most likely replace your battery free of charge. I had mine replaced today by bringing my phone into my local Vodafone store.