Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jepster
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Centura wifi authentication

I recently changed routers to a NetGear Nighthawk. Everything else in the house works flawlessly with this, except my Samsung Galaxy phone. I added the new network but the phone will not ask me for the password connected with this router. It has a strong signal but the little lock shows up in the diagram and keeps saying authentication problem. The phone worked fine with my previous router. Help!!

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Centura wifi authentication

Welcome to Android Central! Do you know what kind of security protocol the router is using? The ideal one (and most secure) is WPA2-PSK, with AES. If that's what it's set to, then you could try changing things a bit--like changing AES to TKIP.

Here's a guide with more tips: [GUIDE] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Centura wifi authentication

The security protocol is WPA2-PSK - but doesn't say anything about AES. When I set up my old router, and then the phone, the software in the phone asked me for the password, but when I went to set up this new router, it didn't ask for a password and just says it can't authenticate. It sees the signal, but puts a little lock symbol over it, and won't let me in. Frustrating! Post script - Thanks for the troubleshooting guide above. I went in and "forgot" the network I was trying to use and added a new one (which I had done before) - and THIS time it finally asked me for the password. All set! Don't know why it wouldn't ask before. Anyway - we are good to go!Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Jepster; 03-21-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    B. Diddy likes this.