Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Android TV box - cannot connect to it via wifi from phone or laptop

hope this is the right place to post - if not please move it to the relevant place

I have just bought an Android Smart TV Box (to replace my AC Ryan media box which gave up the ghost a few days ago) and it mostly works fine - it is connected to my tv via hdmi and the box is hard wired to my router - so it is the standard connection setup. I have two usb hard drives connected to it.
    I obviously want to drag and drop media files from my phone (android) or my laptop (Windows7) to the connected hard drives
    I use ES Explorer app on my phone and Windows explorer but using either version I cannot see the Android box wirelessly - if i do a scan using es explorer it finds the laptop straight away and i can drag and drop but it just will not find the android box at all. However if i go onto the Android box and into the es explorer app and do a scan it picks up the laptop and i can drag and drop a file onto the laptop. So the wireless is sort of working as opposed to not at all. But just seems odd that i cant see it at all - i cant even ping it from the laptop. I have been through all the settings but no luck. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this it would be much appreciated

thanks

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: Android TV box - cannot connect to it via wifi from phone or laptop

Quote Originally Posted by felix001 View Post
    hope this is the right place to post - if not please move it to the relevant place

I have just bought an Android Smart TV Box (to replace my AC Ryan media box which gave up the ghost a few days ago) and it mostly works fine - it is connected to my tv via hdmi and the box is hard wired to my router - so it is the standard connection setup. I have two usb hard drives connected to it.
    I obviously want to drag and drop media files from my phone (android) or my laptop (Windows7) to the connected hard drives
    I use ES Explorer app on my phone and Windows explorer but using either version I cannot see the Android box wirelessly - if i do a scan using es explorer it finds the laptop straight away and i can drag and drop but it just will not find the android box at all. However if i go onto the Android box and into the es explorer app and do a scan it picks up the laptop and i can drag and drop a file onto the laptop. So the wireless is sort of working as opposed to not at all. But just seems odd that i cant see it at all - i cant even ping it from the laptop. I have been through all the settings but no luck. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this it would be much appreciated

thanks
    Hello! Try this. Download Wifi File Transfer on your Android Box:

1. Once Downloaded, open the app.

2. It will display a start button. Click it, and it will display an address (Example: 10.0.0.7:1234)

3. Visit this address on your computer and you should see the contents of the android box.

Android TV box - cannot connect to it via wifi from phone or laptop-wifi1.png

You can then upload stuff to your android box.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

thanks very much. that works..but I'm surprised I can't just use something like Es explorer to copy files back and forth from one Android device to another using drag and drop-as I did from my phone to my AC Ryan media box that I had before. this seems to be a very clumsy way to transfer files..plus I can't see the hard drives attached to the Android box, so I have to copy to the internal memory first, then move to the external drive?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

thanks very much. that works..but I'm surprised I can't just use something like Es explorer to copy files back and forth from one Android device to another using drag and drop-as I did from my phone to my AC Ryan media box that I had before. this seems to be a very clumsy way to transfer files..plus I can't see the hard drives attached to the Android box, so I have to copy to the internal memory first, then move to the external drive?

You can do this with ES File Explorer, but I don't think you can upload, you can only see files. I think it's the net manager option. I think you might have to move files onto the box and then the hard drive. Does your box have root access?

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I have looked at the net manager option but that gives me nothing, just shows my wireless connection details. the box isn't rooted but I can look to do that. I don't know how but I'm sure I can find the instructions on here. if I do root it, will that give me the option to drag and drop files to it ?
    the current way of copying to the box and then to the hard drives would be okay, but the onboard storage is only 1GB so any films I have over that size I wouldn't be able to transfer

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

I have looked at the net manager option but that gives me nothing, just shows my wireless connection details. the box isn't rooted but I can look to do that. I don't know how but I'm sure I can find the instructions on here. if I do root it, will that give me the option to drag and drop files to it ?
    the current way of copying to the box and then to the hard drives would be okay, but the onboard storage is only 1GB so any films I have over that size I wouldn't be able to transfer

I'm going to experiment with my phone for a bit. I'll get back to you in a bit and tell you if I find anything.

In the mean time, I think you would have to connect the hard drives directly to the PC and transfer the files there.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

hi, I don't know if you had any luck but I haven't. seems that you can't see the external drives remotely

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

hi, I don't know if you had any luck but I haven't. seems that you can't see the external drives remotely

I'm experimenting with different things still. I'm going to connect a USB stick to my phone to mimic an external hard drive. I'll try to see if I can read it.