I have a question regarding rooting

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I know what it means after some research.

But what my research did not answer is - if i tried rooting and messed something up, is it still possible to do a reset back to factory settings?

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: I have a question regarding rooting.

I know what it means after some research.

But what my research did not answer is - if i tried rooting and messed something up, is it still possible to do a reset back to factory settings?

It depends on your device. What device do you have?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

If you mess up the phone you can usually get back to stock as long as you have appropriate file for the stock software. Methods for flashing back to stock differ for various phones.

Sent from my LG-G2 running Carbon 4.4.2

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site

It depends on your device. What device do you have?

Well, i dont have it yet but ive been wanting to get the samsung galaxy ace q/appeal. Considering buying it and trying any modding before adding any of my own personal touches to the phone.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Well, i dont have it yet but ive been wanting to get the samsung galaxy ace q/appeal. Considering buying it and trying any modding before adding any of my own personal touches to the phone.

Before you decide to do some modifications to your phone, do you have a definite reason as to why you want to root? Rooting will void your warranty.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Before you decide to do some modifications to your phone, do you have a definite reason as to why you want to root? Rooting will void your warranty.

I can only get it on ebay/amazon so it wont have a warranty anyway, so im not too worried about that part.

The reason I would want to root is because it runs 2.3.6 out of the box and i keep hearing people say that absolutely no apps will download, and that if they do now, they will not in the very near future. But I really like the model of the phone itself. So I was thinking that rooting could mean the best of both worlds - having the handset I really want with an up to date operating system.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Wizzrah, if i do get this phone and decide to root it. Where do i go from there to find an updated OS to use on it? Ive had trouble finding that information, for any phone let alone the one i want.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Wizzrah, if i do get this phone and decide to root it. Where do i go from there to find an updated OS to use on it? Ive had trouble finding that information, for any phone let alone the one i want.

You probably have to root, and then go to a place like XDA for ROMs.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Rooting will not let an app written for Android 3+ to run on a phone running Android 2.3.6, it will only allow apps written to run on 2.3.6 or higher that beed root access to run.

The only way to get current apps to run would be to flash a Jellybean ROM to it and there are 2 problems with that:

1) You probably won't find any
because
2) The phone's hardware won't support it.

Even if you could modify a JB ROM yourself to run on the phone, the phone has only 4GB of internal storage (the only kind that matters as far as running apps is concerned), and that's not going to be enough to run the ROM and more than a few small apps. Even 16GB is considered tight these days. Current phones are made with 32GB, and there are rumors of 64GB phones coming down the pike soon. A 4GB phone, running an almost 4GB ROM, isn't going to be something you'll be happy with.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Rooting will not let an app written for Android 3+ to run on a phone running Android 2.3.6, it will only allow apps written to run on 2.3.6 or higher that beed root access to run.

The only way to get current apps to run would be to flash a Jellybean ROM to it and there are 2 problems with that:

1) You probably won't find any
because
2) The phone's hardware won't support it.

Even if you could modify a JB ROM yourself to run on the phone, the phone has only 4GB of internal storage (the only kind that matters as far as running apps is concerned), and that's not going to be enough to run the ROM and more than a few small apps. Even 16GB is considered tight these days. Current phones are made with 32GB, and there are rumors of 64GB phones coming down the pike soon. A 4GB phone, running an almost 4GB ROM, isn't going to be something you'll be happy with.

I saw on youtube someone running jellybean on a regular samsung galaxy ace... so im sure its possible.

But my question now is, could i use an SD card to serve as more gigabytes available for rom usage? Those arent all that expensive these days either... in fact i have an 8gig one just sitting around right now because of a 2 for 1 sale.

Some thing to keep in mind too is that I wouldnt want it to make my coffee for me and start my car and all of that jazz. I would run a few games and probably facebook. It wouldnt be app heavy at all.