Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vsweety
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone display to tv?

I saw the details about chromecast that it doesnt support FULL display transfer into tv, only certain applications work.

Im using nexus 5. Which device can display everything from my phone to tv, including scrolls, main menu, everything.

Default Re: Phone display to tv?

Any phone with Miracast (or AllShare/Samsung Link for Samsung phones) support is able to 'mirror' your phone to your TV. However, not all TV's are capable of this. Same thing with Chromecast; unless you get an app that mirrors your phone as a video feed, you're restricted to media sharing and streaming from apps that support it.

What's your phone model? Do you have a SmartTV (if so, what model) or are you only using Chromecast?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Any phone with Miracast (or AllShare/Samsung Link for Samsung phones) support is able to 'mirror' your phone to your TV. However, not all TV's are capable of this. Same thing with Chromecast; unless you get an app that mirrors your phone as a video feed, you're restricted to media sharing and streaming from apps that support it.

What's your phone model? Do you have a SmartTV (if so, what model) or are you only using Chromecast?
    Im using Nexus 5 unlocked version from Google Play. TV is Samsung EH5300

Well, it SHOULD work with a Samsung SmartTV... I've only tried it with my Note 3, so maybe it's 'easier' because both are Samsung products, but the process should be the same:

1) On the TV, go to the Screen Mirroring channel/input. It'll start 'looking' for connectable devices.
    2) On the phone, activate the Screen Mirroring option. I'm not sure how it's called in your Nexus but there should be a mirroring option or Miracast something available.
    3) Wait for the two to pair.
    4) Enjoy.
    5) Run for the charger; screen mirroring drains your battery pretty quickly.

Oh, and remember, both TV and phone need to be in the same network or they won't be able to 'find' each other.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

^
    so tv and phone must be connected to same router?

i dont think EH5300 have wifi built in.

Well according to specs, no, it doesn't support WiFi but it does have an Ethernet port available so you could connect that to the router and the phone to the same router's WiFi and that should do it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

^
    that's also an option.

just to confirm, i don't need to buy any device, tv's built in software and my phone's built in software will do everything, correct?

If you can get them to 'see' each other on the same network, yeah, you shouldn't need a Chromecast to see 'stuff' in your screen. You could try 'small' things first, like using Miracast to display your pictures or videos on the TV, and then try to use the screen mirroring feature.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

what about phone to laptop?

I think you can stream media from your phone to your laptop using Samsung's software (S-Link I think it's called, don't really remember, they've changed the name so many times already) but I don't know of an easy or straight-forward way to mirror your phone's screen on the computer.

EDIT: I did find this video on YouTube... MAAAAAYBE it'll help. Haven't really tried it myself.
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

I don't know of an easy or straight-forward way to mirror your phone's screen on the computer.
    You can with the Teamviewer app.

Does that work both ways? I thought you could only mirror the PC on the phone or tablet... Hummm... Good to know
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Does that work both ways?
    Yes. Wireless. So remotely too. There is a slight lag, though, dependent on the speed of your connection.
    You can for instance operate your computer at home, or at work, remotely from your phone or tablet while you are 'in the field'. Or you can act as a helpdesk for your friends' and relatives' devices where ever you are. Or stream a presentation for display elsewhere, while its file doesn't actually get downloaded to that remote device.
    Last edited by Vsweety; 03-27-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    SpookDroid likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I think you can stream media from your phone to your laptop using Samsung's software (S-Link I think it's called, don't really remember, they've changed the name so many times already) but I don't know of an easy or straight-forward way to mirror your phone's screen on the computer.

EDIT: I did find this video on YouTube... MAAAAAYBE it'll help. Haven't really tried it myself.
    this didnt work, have u tried it?

I haven't tried it but someone else pointed out that you could do that with TeamViewer, and that sound like a much more simple way to do it
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

^
    ok then, will do it in free time (using teamviewer).

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

You can also do "phone screen and input on laptop" with MyPhoneExplorer (free in Play). Screen, keyboard, mouse.

You can also put a VNC server on the phone and run a VNC viewer on the laptop. (Since you're on the same network, I assume, you don't need Team Viewer's ability to jump routers.)
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

this is weird, whenever i connect my phone to the laptop, im receiving this window (look screenshot below), it wont show the phone window.

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

MyPhoneExplorer and VNC will. MyPhoneExplorer will do other things to - it's Android-specific so it does contacts, texts, etc.. But a VNC connection is just a remote connection to another computer - you can control the remote computer from the local one. You see the entire screen, use the mouse and keyboard, some of them even do audio. (Trying to do video, even on a local wifi connection, may not work great, though.)
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I dont want to control my phone or my laptop from any device. I just want to make the screen of my phone big by displaying it into my laptop.

Btw, i installed vnc viewer, it installed bing toolbar and changed my homepage. Not going to install it ever again.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

This is great, i can watch vids and see pics from my phone to tv using the playto samsung app and allcast app. Now i need to find a way to mirror games.

I am using Flipps. It's a great app. The streaming from my phone (or tablet) is immediate. The app just takes control over the TV. I can watch tv shows, news, sports, etc.

Chromecast will do full screen mirroring if you have a supported device.