Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New or old(er) - What to do

Hi all, first time posting, long time lurking. Usually if I had a question I could search the forums or articles and find my answers, so thank you for that. This issue is a little more involved and I'm hoping some of the experts could help me out.

I'm in need of a new phone and possibly a tablet. I have a Nexus 7 tablet that my wife got me for Christmas in 2012. Unfortunately, yesterday when I was putting stuff in the car, it slipped out of my hand, fell right on the corner and cracked the screen (even had it in a case, it fell in such a way the corner got hit, just bad luck). It still works fine, but with it being a touchscreen, only half of it is responsive now. Anyway, I'm also due for a phone upgrade and had been holding out for the new models this year, the S5 or the new HTC One, both coming out in the next month or two. My current phone is a Blackberry that I've had for over two years. I love it for the messaging and keyboard, but for anything else it isn't quite up to par anymore. That's why I had the tablet, for the apps, games, and internet usage.

Now, my question is, do I hold out for one of the new model phones and get the latest and greatest, but only get a phone, and no tablet? Or do I get a current model phone, the S4 or One or whatever for free or real cheap as an upgrade, and buy a new tablet (cost for repairs from what I've seen isn't much less than a new one). If I have the android phone, I'm not in as great of need for the tablet. Although the larger screen is nice for watching videos and playing games and anything in general. Either way I'm probably out about $200, which will be hard to come by as it is. It's just a matter of getting two good devices that are slightly behind now or one of the latest technology, and maybe replacing the tablet several months down the road. My usage on either is mostly internet, e-mail, regular apps for personal stuff, games, and a little Netflix and MLB app for watching movies/games every once in a while. Do I need all the power and capabilities of the new models if I'm not going to use it to full potential anyway? I'm sure it's nice to have, but it is necessary basic stuff I use it for? With phones, I'm very big on getting the best device possible at the time. They get outdated in 6 months and if you buy behind schedule then in 2 years you are way behind, that's my theory anyway, maybe that has changed and maybe they are good enough now that they can last for 2+ years without being too outdated.

I know there are the combos now like the Note. I don't really want something that big. The phone I keep with me, in a pocket. I don't want something that I'll have to carry most of the time. I like the idea of the phone/tablet and spent some time with one in a store, but I just don't like the size for a pocket item. The tablet mostly stays at home or in the car, it's not something I always carry around.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.

Default Re: New or old(er) - What to do

I wouldn't worry about how well the S4/One will hold up over two years. Phones in the last couple years have gotten to where they are very capable of handling all the basic phone functions you mentioned. I don't doubt the newer ones will be faster, but I don't think it is as big of a deal as it was in the past. After a year with my last two phones (Motorola Droid and Motorola Droid X2) I was already itching for an upgrade and noticing them slowing down. My S4 is 10 months old now and I don't have any complaints about performance.

So I'd let it boil down to whether or not you really want a tablet. They are a lot nicer for watching movies and reading books.
    stlcards504 likes this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

I'd recommend getting last year's model. They're still great phones, and that way you can use your tablet for gaming/media.
    Either phone will still be a substantial upgrade over your current phone

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    stlcards504 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?

I think that is kind of how I'm leaning right now. I've been holding onto an upgrade since September and just haven't had the money to spend so I figured I might as well wait for the new models to come out. Breaking my tablet really sucked, but not the end of the world I guess. It just kind of forces my hand if I still want both. Guess I need to start researching current models.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by stlcards504 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?

I think that is kind of how I'm leaning right now. I've been holding onto an upgrade since September and just haven't had the money to spend so I figured I might as well wait for the new models to come out. Breaking my tablet really sucked, but not the end of the world I guess. It just kind of forces my hand if I still want both. Guess I need to start researching current models.
    I'd also look into something like the Moto X, which I'd choose over both last year and this year's Galaxy and HTC One

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2