Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Default Read Mode

I am trying to install a "reading view" onto the Chrome or Internet browser of a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I have tried "Text Mode" from the Chrome web store, Readability and Instapaper but I get "Sorry, your operating system is not supported yet..." I discovered you can't install Internet Explorer on an Android tablet. Is there some other way to get a reading or text view of a web page?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Default Re: Read Mode

I did find one solution. Dolphin is a web browser with several add-ons including Dolphin Reader that turns web pages into text. If there are any other solutions please post them!

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Are you trying to get the text of the page itself (the HTML code) or are you trying to get the page to give you just the text and not the pictures? If the patter, Lynx is the original text-only browser. (Well, okay, this app was inspired by the original program.)

For the first one, you'd have to save the page as HTML (or as a web page), then open that file in a text editor.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Basically I want Chrome to do what Internet Explorer and Safari do with their Reading View where a web page cluttered with ads is reformatted into this:

Read Mode-win81-ie11reading-hero.jpg

A forum member recommended this article:How to add Safaris Reader function to Android for clutter-free mobile browsing — Tech News and Analysis which uses Readability and works with Chrome. I use this feature when I read an article online of any length.