Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What is the best way to get help?

What is the best way for someone still new to Android to get help in the Android world?
    I mean AFTER they research on the boards and the net in general.

Because I search and search to try to fix things myself because I don't like to ask for help if I can avoid it but some problems I run into a dead end.
    And when I post to get help on different boards I hardly ever get responses even to say something like, 'Yeah I had the same problem, tried this but didn't work' or
    something like 'didn't happen on mine but this similar thing did' or ' I don't know but did you look at this or try this'.
    It seems like a lot in the Android community isn't very helpful. I've had a lot more help in the past when I had Windows problems from that community.

Default Re: What is the best way to get help?

Quote Originally Posted by LunaEros View Post
    What is the best way for someone still new to Android to get help in the Android world?

Because I search and search to try to fix things myself because I don't like to ask for help if I can avoid it but some problems I run into a dead end.
    And when I post to get help on different boards I hardly ever get responses even to say something like, 'Yeah I had the same problem, tried this but didn't work' or
    something like 'didn't happen on mine but this similar thing did' or ' I don't know but did you look at this or try this'.
    It seems like a lot in the Android community isn't very helpful. I've had a lot more help in the past when I had Windows problems from that community.
    Sorry to hear that no one was willing to help you in the past, what is your query and I can maybe have a go at answering it?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

3rd party apps won't load maps from the google api's

Thank you for at least seeing if you can help.

3rd party apps won't load maps from the google api's

Thank you for at least seeing if you can help.
    it's frustrating when you have a question that no one will answer. Sadly I dont have a clue regarding your query lol. I guess you just need to post your question at the right time and hope that someone knows the answer. Sorry I couldnt help

We do try to help out as much as possible but sometimes we don't have an answer for a particular issue.

Sent from my Anthem filled Note 3
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I can understand that but sometimes someone posting what they might do if it were their device can shake loose an idea that might work in the back and forth posting.

Agreed and we do try to get to as many threads as we can.

Sent from my Anthem filled Note 3
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thank you.
    I even try myself to help, if I can, with the little knowledge I've gained so far.

It's not that people are actively refusing to answer your question. It's more that your situation isn't particularly common, on a device that isn't commonly encountered on these forums, that is also modified by root and Xposed. I could post a response like, "Sorry, I'm not sure what to tell you," but I don't think that would be any more helpful.

If I come up with any bright ideas, I'll let you know.

Posted via Android Central App

Sometimes when I can't find the answer through the forums, I will do a Google search for the problem that I am having.

Like others said, if it is an uncommon problem then it might be hard to resolve. Or sometimes it might get lost in the mix. You can bump the original thread occasionally if you don't get a response.

Sometimes less common devices can be harder, and also Android Central doesn't deal heavily with rooting.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I only come and ask in the forums when I have exhausted any other way.

But my original question on this thread wasn't referring to A Central in particular. I meant in general becuase I get this on most forums I post on.
    Especially over at XDA. And those guys are majorly into development and modification. Yet I usually don't get much responses there either.
    And even if my device is older or not as common doesn't mean nobody else has ever encountered a problem I run into.

As far as the Xposed framework, when it installs it gives you a way to pull it out of the system entirely. Which I tried but the problem was still there.
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

So after you have aired your general misgivings, how about asking the question itself, complete with info on what device, what Android version, etc. ? We haven't a clue what you're on about.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I already posted the link to my latest problem above.

Global Posts
    6,108 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

The main problem you're having, as I see it, is that most people won't post a "sorry, I have no answer for you" post. It's assumed that if your post is being read (there a read count) and not being answered it's because no one has an answer. I've even gone as far as to post things along the lines of "it could be ...", or "that really can't be answered on a forum, someone has to look at the phone", but I don't think in all the years I've been posting on various help forums (and when I started using computer networks, the only one in existence was the one run by DARPA, so it's been a long time), or even Usenet and bulletin boards before that, I've ever made a "sorry, I have no answer" post. It's just assumed - or, at least I assume - that a post that's been read but not answered has been read by people who have no answer.

And, no, I have no answer for this one either. I downloaded a few apps like Cell Mapper and I tried Yelp (and expanded the map) and the API itself appears to be working. Try Coverage Mapper. It's not a great app, but it appears to use Google's API, and it's working at the moment, so if it doesn't work on your phone, the problem is in the phone. (Make sure you turn GPS on, either before you run the app or when it asks you too if it's running and GPS is off.) Some apps won't look for a map if they don't know where you are.
    B. Diddy likes this.

It also helps if you post in the thread your full spec`s like you have done in your post

Like:

Phone.
    Carrier.
    OS version.
    Rooted or not.
    things like that, this way other guys don`t need to keep asking those questions to help out more.
    LG-isai