Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what does this mean ?

I was at school for about 8 hours. Casual 1-2 texts but my phone was mostly in my pocket. hli-fi was on but not connected. I get home and my phone's on 71% , is this normal?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: what does this mean ?

what does this mean ?-uploadfromtaptalk1395955044547.jpg

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

btw I took this pic at home which is why the wifi is connected.Some days I put on airplane mode and battery is at 94-96% by the end of the day

Can you show us the breakdown of battery use by app? Also show us the Cell Standby and Time without Signal.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    23,908 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

That big gap in the mobile network may be the biggest part of the drain.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Rukbat likes this.

Global Posts
    9,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Aside from what Golfdriver said (the phone keeps looking for a wifi signal, which drains some battery), you have only a few wake-locks. You might want to run wake-lock to see what's waking the phone up, and if the phone is rooted, or you're not against rooting it, use Greenify to hibernate those apps. They'll sleep, but if you run them they'll wake up. (IOW, you don't want to hibernate a text app because you might get a text at any time, but you might want to hibernate something that's waking up every 10 minutes, but you know it's not going to find anything when you're in school.)

You might also want to run a smart wifi app, so your wifi is off when you're in places where you won't be using wifi - like in school. Apps like Greenify and smart wifi apps take very little power and only wake for a fraction of a second every so often, so they can save a lot of battery.

However ... 29% in 8 hours isn't terrible, it's just not as good as you can get if you try. You can probably get 2 days before getting down to about 40%, at which point you should charge it.

It's possible that gap is when the phone was in Airplane Mode. Besides, the battery curve doesn't really dip down during that period--it's afterwards.

Does your Note 3 have KitKat? If so, you won't be able to run Wakelock Detector or a similar app, because KitKat prevents access to that info unless you're rooted. But if you're still on Jellybean, then I agree with trying Wakelock Detector, as well as running an app like GSam Battery Monitor, which can give you a bit more details about battery usage by apps.

There are a bunch of things that cause battery drains....

First, 30% over 8 hours might be a little on the high side, but without looking at the more detail battery usage, it isn't crazy. See all those ticks in the 'Awake' line when your screen is off? That's it doing its thing in the background (checking email, location services, etc). You'd be amazed at how much the phone does stuff when it is off. And those tasks are hard to pick out unless you use an app like Better Battery Stats, or GSam.

A lot of times people post a graph where that awake is solid, even though the screen is off... that's a sign of a runawy process that is not releasing things and letting the phone go to sleep. THAT will kill even the biggest batteries in a matter of a few hours. See that bit at the start of the graph? See how the phone stays awake for what appears to be,what, the first hour or so? Your screen was only on for a little bit of that time.... so there was something that kept your phone awake for that first part (and you can see the impact by looking at the graph above... the more the phone is awake, the faster things drain...

What were you doing the first hour or so after unplugging/rebooting?