Merging SMS between 2 devices

dagn11

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I was not sure in which forum section I should post since many of them seem to match my post! Don't hesitate to redirect me to the right section.

I need help with merging SMS between 2 Android devices. Both are Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.3 or 4.4.2 (I might update to 4.4.2 soon), none are rooted. I have been using G Cloud Backup but it does not seem to offer a merge option. It's a one-shot, one of the device won't be used afterward.

I don't know in which format SMS are stored on the device... maybe these format would be easy to merge? Or maybe there is an app that could do that (backup phone 1, restore it on phone 2 with a merge option...)?

What happened is that I received SMS on both devices and I'd like to merge them.

Any idea is welcome! Let me know if you need more information.
Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most SMS backup apps back up to an xml file. You can merge 2 xml files in any text editor - even Notepad is good enough. Just read the file and you'll see how it's structured.

dagn11

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Good idea! I tried with a backup app I picked randomly (SMS Backup & Restore) and the XML files are easy to read... they will be easy to combine! Now I'll see if I can do the same thing with MMS and another app, which could be much more complicated! (that doesn't bother me since I don't have many MMS).

Thanks!

Edit : Backup/restore apps seem to backup each MMS as an individual EML file... which should be easy to manipulate (decide which MMS to restore on my new device).

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams