Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Most Reliable Way to Replace Phone with Tablet

I've been researching how to do this all day. It started from an article that seemed to promote UppWireless a data-only provider who claims you can replace your carrier, yet they are sold out of SIM cards and appear to be nearly inactive as far as Twitter, etc. goes.

I have a Nexus 5 but thought about getting a Nexus 7 to activate with a data-only plan from either T-Mobile or even Verizon which might seem like the best choice. A few online articles say you can activate a Nexus 7 through Verizon, however, Verizon reps tell me that the phone needs to be from them and have their "transmitters"? I guess I'm getting mixed information and was curious if anyone knows how to do this.

Verizon has the Nexus 7 on backorder for 2 months. Do they block Google Voice or other services that could allow you to replace their phone plans?

Thanks!

P.S. Sprint's reps even stated that you cannot activate a Nexus 7 from Google with them. Same answer was provided that you need to have some internal mechanism on the device for it to work.

Default Re: Most Reliable Way to Replace Phone with Tablet

FYI if you do use Google Voice or any VOIP for calls you will always have to use the mic on the tablet even with a BT headset. Call quality is low and worse for the other end. If you want to receive calls you will have to set it to force wake lock draining battery very fast. I tried using a a data only plan for a year with a Nexus 7 it was a completely horrible experience.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Most Reliable Way to Replace Phone with Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    FYI if you do use Google Voice or any VOIP for calls you will always have to use the mic on the tablet even with a BT headset. Call quality is low and worse for the other end. If you want to receive calls you will have to set it to force wake lock draining battery very fast. I tried using a a data only plan for a year with a Nexus 7 it was a completely horrible experience.
    Thank you.