I've been researching how to do this all day. It started from an article that seemed to promote UppWireless a data-only provider who claims you can replace your carrier, yet they are sold out of SIM cards and appear to be nearly inactive as far as Twitter, etc. goes.

I have a Nexus 5 but thought about getting a Nexus 7 to activate with a data-only plan from either T-Mobile or even Verizon which might seem like the best choice. A few online articles say you can activate a Nexus 7 through Verizon, however, Verizon reps tell me that the phone needs to be from them and have their "transmitters"? I guess I'm getting mixed information and was curious if anyone knows how to do this.

Verizon has the Nexus 7 on backorder for 2 months. Do they block Google Voice or other services that could allow you to replace their phone plans?

Thanks!

P.S. Sprint's reps even stated that you cannot activate a Nexus 7 from Google with them. Same answer was provided that you need to have some internal mechanism on the device for it to work.
    04-04-2014 08:30 PM
    FYI if you do use Google Voice or any VOIP for calls you will always have to use the mic on the tablet even with a BT headset. Call quality is low and worse for the other end. If you want to receive calls you will have to set it to force wake lock draining battery very fast. I tried using a a data only plan for a year with a Nexus 7 it was a completely horrible experience.
    04-04-2014 09:18 PM
    FYI if you do use Google Voice or any VOIP for calls you will always have to use the mic on the tablet even with a BT headset. Call quality is low and worse for the other end. If you want to receive calls you will have to set it to force wake lock draining battery very fast. I tried using a a data only plan for a year with a Nexus 7 it was a completely horrible experience.
    Thank you.
    04-04-2014 09:30 PM