Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kies

Hi i hope you guys can help me. After years of being an iphone user i have made the best move into the world of Samsung Galaxy S4. However, Kies is atrocious and it seems the Samusung population agrees with me. Bring back itunes i promise i will never fall out of love with you again!

So guys if you could be assist me here

I have decided to sync my galaxy as follows:

Contacts via Google/Gmail account.
    Calendar via Google/Gmail account
    Tasks and Notes via Evergreen
    Photos via Dropbox
    Full backup when necessary via Kies.
    How does this sound to you?

Is there a better way?

This leaves me with one final tasks....syncing my music. I have transferred all my music from itunes to kies. does that now mean that kies has to be my main music hub? What happens when i sync my ipad, for example, with itunes and the music is updated on itunes it then means i have to sync kies with again. all a bit tedious.

What are your suggestions on this?

Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Kies

Welcome to Android

Personally, I HATE iTunes. There, I said it. That being said, I also don't have any kind of love for Kies and have seldom used it myself. You're coming from a new device from a different ecosystem, so there's not going to be any 'super easy' way of transferring things (even though there are apps by Samsung that claim to do this, they really don't...same goes when you go from Android to iStuff).

Since you're coming from an iPhone, your stuff is already on a different service, so using Google to backup contacts and calendars IS your best bet. Notes are cool if you're using Evernote, as that means they'll be available on any device, no matter what brand. As for pictures and music, your Android doesn't NEED a library manager like iTunes. As long as your music is properly tagged, just save it wherever you like (you can now use your phone as you would a USB stick!) and the music player will sort things out. BUT if you're really married to iTunes, especially since you have an iPad, you can use the app called DoubleTwist (actually dubbed the iTunes of Android). With that, it'll automatically sync with your iTunes as if you were using your old iPhone, straight forward and easy peasy. With pictures it's the same, just save them wherever you want or, like you did, keep them on Dropbox for multiplatform and Cloud saving (You could also use Googles service if you want to keep things tied up to the same Google account).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful. I have started to use double twist and seems very easy. HOWEVER (!)... who in their sane mind decided that you cannot sync fmom double twist to the sd card in my s4? I'm totally lost with such a decision! Do you have any ways around this. If not then it renders double twist pretty useless for anythind larger than the devices memory capaci y.

Thank you
    Mobile Nations Staff

Global Posts
    1,896 Global Posts

Bump! Anyone have any solutions?
    (V)_(�,,,�)_(V)

Global Posts
    18,594 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by justinf123 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Very helpful. I have started to use double twist and seems very easy. HOWEVER (!)... who in their sane mind decided that you cannot sync fmom double twist to the sd card in my s4? I'm totally lost with such a decision! Do you have any ways around this. If not then it renders double twist pretty useless for anythind larger than the devices memory capaci y.

Thank you
    If you just mean music, you can download music manager from Google, and that should help with the transition too.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by justinf123 View Post
    who in their sane mind decided that you cannot sync fmom double twist to the sd card in my s4?
    If you're on 4.4.2, thank Google. The SD card is now as secure as the rest of Linux. (You do know that Google's official motto is "if it's not broke, let's break it", right?)

If not, blame the developer who wrote Double Twist.
    Thanked by: