Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Data???

Coming from iphone I use a little over 2 GB a month. I've heard androids use a lot more data then iPhones. Don't know how accurate that is. Was just wanting to know how much data you average with ur phone. Reason I wanna know is I'm going to get the M8 GPE. Don't know if I should stay with AT&T and just up my data or switch to T-Mobile for the unlimited data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Data???

I think it's the opposite, iPhone users gobble up more data...

Alas, I usually consume 1.7-2GB per month (my data plan is capped at 3GB) with moderate-heavy use. If I'm 'wreckless' and stream an hour of Spotify per day or watch a movie on Netflix, then yeah, I'll reach my data cap.

PS: You can enable data compression in Chrome (if you choose to use that) and you'll save up on webpage data. Other browsers have a similar option, like Opera. There are also apps like Onavo and Hola Unblocker that also compress overall data traffic to your phone, so you'll use less data while doing the same things (it might slow things down a bit, though, as compression happens first on their servers).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    I think it's the opposite, iPhone users gobble up more data...

Alas, I usually consume 1.7-2GB per month (my data plan is capped at 3GB) with moderate-heavy use. If I'm 'wreckless' and stream an hour of Spotify per day or watch a movie on Netflix, then yeah, I'll reach my data cap.

PS: You can enable data compression in Chrome (if you choose to use that) and you'll save up on webpage data. Other browsers have a similar option, like Opera. There are also apps like Onavo and Hola Unblocker that also compress overall data traffic to your phone, so you'll use less data while doing the same things (it might slow things down a bit, though, as compression happens first on their servers).
    Thanks. I wanna use my phone to the limits. Except for watching movies and stuff on it. I watch YouTube every once in a while but that's about it. I use my iPhone at home on wifi when I'm out I use it whenever I want I don't cap myself or anything.

If you plan on using your Android in the same way you used your iPhone, then you should be around the same data consumption you already have. And if you use any of those fancy compression apps, even less.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

If you plan on using your Android in the same way you used your iPhone, then you should be around the same data consumption you already have. And if you use any of those fancy compression apps, even less.
    Sounds good. What's the fancy compression app do???

If you use youtube, consider downloading the video over wifi first with an app like tube mate available from the Amazon app store

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    If you use youtube, consider downloading the video over wifi first with an app like tube mate available from the Amazon app store

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Ok thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WildCatBBN3 View Post
    Sounds good. What's the fancy compression app do???

They basically download the data to their servers, compress it, and then send it over to you, and decompress it on your phone. It's sort of like making a ZIP file of the data you're using before you receive it and then opening the ZIP on your phone once it's been downloaded. Just like ZIP files, the compression level depends on the kind of file/data type you're trying to download, but for general use, it does help a lot to reduce data consumption.

And with Android, you can always set up a 'limit' for the phone to warn you when you're getting close to it and even a second limit to just cut off mobile data consumption so you don't go over your data allowance and end up with an inflated phone bill.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

They basically download the data to their servers, compress it, and then send it over to you, and decompress it on your phone. It's sort of like making a ZIP file of the data you're using before you receive it and then opening the ZIP on your phone once it's been downloaded. Just like ZIP files, the compression level depends on the kind of file/data type you're trying to download, but for general use, it does help a lot to reduce data consumption.

And with Android, you can always set up a 'limit' for the phone to warn you when you're getting close to it and even a second limit to just cut off mobile data consumption so you don't go over your data allowance and end up with an inflated phone bill.
    What apps do this???

Onavo and Hola Unblocker are the ones I know of (they're supposed to compress ALL data traffic, no matter which app uses it, as long as the data type that is being downloaded can be compressed). Browsers like Chrome or Opera have a similar option but that will only compress the data you use for said browser (if you open Facebook on the app and not the browser, that data is not compressed).

The warning and cut-off limits can be set in your Settings, wherever the "Data Usage" report is (this varies by phone, but it's a part of Android, so it's always there...unless you have a REALLY old version of Android).
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

2 points:

1) Movies are already compressed, so compressing them actually makes the file a tiny bit larger. (File compression isn't like a stack or cardboard, if you press harder the stack gets smaller. If the file has been compressed as far as it can be compressed for the amount of loss you're willing to put up with [video compression is lossy compression], compressing that file just stores it and adds a header so it can be "unstored" later. So you have the size of the file plus the size of the header - which is on the order of less than 100 bytes.)

2) Neither Android nor iOS use more data. If you're downloading a 100MB file, you're using 100MB of data. IPhone, Android, desktop, mainframe, it doesn't make any difference - 100MB of data is 100MB of data. iMessage uses more data than SMS (in some cases - in some cases it can actually be other way around), but we're talking a number of bytes you can count on your fingers for each message, so that's not going to impact your account.
    Thanked by: