What decision should I make?

Triqkster

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
So my Samsung Galaxy S3 recently broke. I've determined it to be a hardware failure and my warranty is over (not that I would have had one since I rooted and accidentally tripped KNOX) and I don't have much money. I need to know what to do. Right now I'm thinking of two options. My contract isn't over until November and the only other mobile product I have is my school issue iPad which I hate because I don't like tablets in general. I was thinking, I can buy the Nexus 5 now and use it since it's pretty cheap off contract but perhaps regret it once the Nexus 6 comes out or I can wait for the Nexus 6 to come out and buy a $20 phone now. I'm not really interested in phones that aren't running stock Android anymore although if a phone is cheap enough, I can deal with it. I've put a Moto G out of the equation since I think $160 is still a lot of money to spend for a phone that will most likely leave me wanting more power, especially when more phones come out and it becomes a bit outdated and if I want to buy a phone, I want to be happy with it for at least 2 years and I just don't think the Moto G can do that. I also don't like buying used phones but it all comes down to price. Ultimately, if I can get the Nexus 5 or any other smartphone from 2013 unlocked and off contact for AT&T GSM under $160 in good condition, I'll probably do it. What do you guys think?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You'll be hard pressed to find a Nexus 5 for under $160, and if you do, I'd be a little suspicious. It's still going for over $300 on Swappa.

The Moto G gets such good reviews that it may still be worth looking into. Most people who post about it marvel at its performance and build considering its price.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Triqkster

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. The majority of Nexus 5 devices I saw on eBay that came under $160 were either broken or had cracked screens. I'm still not sure about the Moto G though. It has a great price to performance ratio being so cheap but I just don't think I can put up with not having 4G LTE and a flagship processor from 2012 for another two years.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since the S5 is coming out, you could probably start finding used S4s at a good price. That still has pretty formidable hardware. Or the outgoing HTC One.

Triqkster

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Since the S5 is coming out, you could probably start finding used S4s at a good price. That still has pretty formidable hardware. Or the outgoing HTC One.

Yeah I've looked at those too. The refurbished and used ones don't quite make the price point I'm looking for. Hmm. I'd love to have a Google Play Edition HTC One M8 but not enough money for that. I guess I'll just wait for the Nexus 6. It's poised to be pretty good although some rumors point to screen as large as the Galaxy Note 3 which I'm not hoping for since I don't really like super large phones. I'm also not hoping for a curved display since I value battery life a little more.