Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I combine threads by person in Hangouts?

I just got a new Android phone and I'm loving the updates since my last one (which was running Jelly Bean). I'm using SMS on the Hangouts app, but I'm confused because it separates SMS messages from Hangout messages even from the same person. I have two different conversations going on with my wife, which is a little frustrating, and not substantially better than just having the Hangouts app separate from an SMS app.

I was hoping the threads would integrate so that I could keep having the same conversation in a single thread, even when I want to use SMS instead of 4G. Anyone have any ideas?

Global Posts
    7,789 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: How do I combine threads by person in Hangouts?

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMurphy View Post
    I just got a new Android phone and I'm loving the updates since my last one (which was running Jelly Bean). I'm using SMS on the Hangouts app, but I'm confused because it separates SMS messages from Hangout messages even from the same person. I have two different conversations going on with my wife, which is a little frustrating, and not substantially better than just having the Hangouts app separate from an SMS app.

I was hoping the threads would integrate so that I could keep having the same conversation in a single thread, even when I want to use SMS instead of 4G. Anyone have any ideas?
    Right now sms and Hangouts (online over data) threads are separated. If you are having a conversation with someone through sms and a new thread starts it's because someone started a new Hangout as an online chat, not sms. I don't think there is a way to merge those threads right now, but perhaps there is a solution in the near future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: How do I combine threads by person in Hangouts?

Good to know. Thanks!