05-12-2017 10:22 PM
99 ... 234
tools
    Python Method works a treat well done, Simply search google for @matteocontrini and python, and you will find his blog with full instructions. Been searching about two days many hours, this took me about 15 mins, inc python install for over 8000 messages, thanks @matteocontrini
    pampurio97 likes this.
    05-23-2016 04:12 AM
    This is a truly simple and awesome method that works great! I've transferred over 40,000 sms at least and had no issues!
    06-14-2016 12:25 AM
    I found a very simple two step process to move SMS from Windows Phone 8.1 to Android.
    Use the Transfer My Data app on the WinPhone 8.1 phone - on my gf's phone it is in the main app window (I think it was part of the 8.1 upgrade). Touch the 3 dots (...), select "export to SD Card". Let it find all your Contacts, SMS and MMS messages. Select all. Select Start.
    After it has exported your data move the SD card to your Android device.
    On Android get the VMG Converter from Animated Oak Entertainment. Free version converts 200, $1.99 version converts at least 10,000 (I had 10,060). Let it find the vmsg file from the WinPhone8.1. Select all (or whichever ones you want). Start and wait. It took about 10 minutes to import the 10k I had.

I imported the contacts first.

(This only took about 20 minutes total - after several hours of web searching)
    This is an absolutely perfect and simple method! I've successfully transferred over 40,000 sms at least and it was easy and (relatively) fast. Definitely try this before anything else...
    badcat likes this.
    06-14-2016 12:32 AM
    Pra mim deu super certo, muito obrigada John!! Thack you so much!!!
    And does it have to do the same with whatsapp messages?

Thanks
    07-15-2016 05:33 AM
    Thank you so much for posting this, I was defiantly having a problem trying to figure out this until i saw your post. Lifesaver!!
    08-16-2016 11:15 AM
    I found a very simple two step process to move SMS from Windows Phone 8.1 to Android.
    Use the Transfer My Data app on the WinPhone 8.1 phone - on my gf's phone it is in the main app window (I think it was part of the 8.1 upgrade). Touch the 3 dots (...), select "export to SD Card". Let it find all your Contacts, SMS and MMS messages. Select all. Select Start.
    On Android get the VMG Converter from Animated Oak Entertainment. Free version converts 200, $1.99 version converts at least 10,000 (I had 10,060). Let it find the vmsg file from the WinPhone8.1. Select all (or whichever ones you want). Start and wait. It took about 10 minutes to import the 10k I had.

Using the VMS converter was great, and worth the $2!!
    For those who have a windows phone that doesn't have an SD card (I had the Lumia 1020), and trying to move it to an android that does have an SD card slot (I have the Moto X Play), here's what I did:
    1) Backup phone to OneDrive (in settings -> backup -> Apps+settings -> backup now).
    2) get a CHEAP, old windows phone that can hold an SD card (I had a Lumia 920 I think, I bought it for like $20 used on Ebay - I keep it in case of phone malfunction), and buy an SD card if you don't already have one.
    3) Restore the phone you just backed up to OneDrive to the new/used cheap phone when you start up the phone (When you first start the phone it will ask if you want to restore a phone, say yes and follow the prompts. NOTE - It may take a day or 2 for all text messages to appear on the phone). From here everything is exactly the same as John Gay1 mentioned earlier.
    4) Use the Transfer My Data app to backup all messages to the SD card.
    5) Get the $2 VMS converter on the android phone, plus the free version (the $2 version allows the free version to convert more files, so you need both if you want more than 200 messages converted). And put the SD card from the WP to the Android phone.
    6) Use the VMS converter to convert the messages from the SD card.
    At the end of it all, you may have to spend $30 or so to make it all work depending on whether you already have a cheap phone, SD card, or buy the app. Well worth it for me!
    08-22-2016 08:57 AM

I love the way how Google searches keep stumbling on these bogus mentions of MMS messages as in, "Let it find all your Contacts, SMS and MMS messages." Yeah, right. The vmsg file is only created for the SMS messages, and that is all the VMG Converter processes. The MMS ones get created in the format of multiple *.pdu files. I'd like to see you describe how you import those through this process...
    09-26-2016 03:19 AM
    Just moved over to a OnePlus 3 this week and found this the defacto way of doing it.

The guy has even written a python script to do all the jiggery pokery of conversion for you.

https://medium.com/@matteocontrini/h...362#.d6wttz955
    10-07-2016 08:25 AM
    I've created a telegram bot that will convert sms.vmsg to SMS Backup & Restore xml format.

For those that don't want to use bot - there is downloadable exe in bot source repository in download section.

Several apps required:

- `Telegram` account and app on both devices
    - `Transfer My Data` on Windows Phone
    - `SMS Backup & Restore` on Android Phone

With `Telegram` account say hi to Telegram: Contact @Wp2AndroidBot bot.

On Windows Phone device with `Transfer My Data` app export all sms to `sms.vmsg` file. Send this file to `@Wp2AndroidBot` bot. Bot will reply with `xml` that compatible with `SMS Backup & Restore` app.

On Android device open `xml` file from bot with `SMS Backup & Restore` app. Now You can import all messages.

Bot is running on `Azure Functions` with free tier so it cost me nothing and I don't expect it to run out of power.

Bot do not store any files. Conversion is happen on the fly.

Code sources of bot here: https://bitbucket.org/AlfeG/windowsp...droid/overview

I've tested only on my devices and only with my history. If anything breaks - ping me in telegram, I will take a look.
    10-13-2016 11:48 AM
    OK guys it can be done, thanks to other tips from the forums plus a little research.
    On your Windows phone go to "settings/contacts&message backup/backup" and just tick the sms box and backup to sd card. Oh no you don't have a separate sd card? Don't worry there is one built in - trust me.
    When you have done that you can connect your Lumia to your pc and navigate to sd card/backup/Data/ and you'll find a folder with a long number. Inside that folder you'll find a SMS folder and inside that a file sms.vmsg
    Copy that file and paste it into your default download location on your Android phone (I put it in my sd card)
    Now, on your Android phone go to the store and download VMG Converter and install it.
    When it's installed run it - whoopee it sees all your sms texts! You might get some advertising but just close that and you'll see all those sms from your old phone, and I mean all of them.
    At the bottom of the screen you can choose to "Select All" or you can just scroll through them and tick the boxes of the ones you want.
    Now "IMPORT" and when you are asked to make VMG Converter the default reader for SMS select "YES" and the ones you want will be imported to your phone. As soon as the import is completed you will be asked to change it back to the standard sms application.
    So now you have the sms transferred and still have the sms.vmsg file to go back to if you want to import some others... Or you could clear the sms.vmsg file and uninstall VMG Converter if you really want to.
    It's easy - I'm an old man and needed those sms because some important insurance details and phone numbers were there. I worked it out because I'm a stubborn old git who hates to be told that something can't be done. It will take you about as long as it took you to read this, just follow each step and you'll get the results you're looking for.
    Thanks for the steps, it works so nice without any effort.
    CRH37 likes this.
    10-20-2016 04:54 AM
    thanks pampurio97 the python method was fast and easy and worked perfectly
    10-24-2016 10:08 PM
    huge leap in process after downloading the contacts+messaging app (as Pampurio97 mentions in his blog that I was following for the other option) that wasn't on the windows phone originally, backing up to a random file with no SD card and then following Chas' instructions below...
    10-24-2016 10:59 PM
    deleted for simplicity of blog, see below
    10-25-2016 03:17 AM
    which version of python should I install? There are so many not sure which is best. I'll be installing on a Windows 10, but my phone was 8.1, will be transferring from Nokia 929 Windows to a Galaxy S7 android, just wanting my texts.. thx!
    CRH37 likes this.
    10-25-2016 03:28 AM
    OK guys it can be done, thanks to other tips from the forums plus a little research.
    On your Windows phone go to "settings/contacts&message backup/backup" and just tick the sms box and backup to sd card. Oh no you don't have a separate sd card? Don't worry there is one built in - trust me.
    When you have done that you can connect your Lumia to your pc and navigate to sd card/backup/Data/ and you'll find a folder with a long number. Inside that folder you'll find a SMS folder and inside that a file sms.vmsg
    Copy that file and paste it into your default download location on your Android phone (I put it in my sd card)
    Now, on your Android phone go to the store and download VMG Converter and install it.
    When it's installed run it - whoopee it sees all your sms texts! You might get some advertising but just close that and you'll see all those sms from your old phone, and I mean all of them.
    At the bottom of the screen you can choose to "Select All" or you can just scroll through them and tick the boxes of the ones you want.
    Now "IMPORT" and when you are asked to make VMG Converter the default reader for SMS select "YES" and the ones you want will be imported to your phone. As soon as the import is completed you will be asked to change it back to the standard sms application.
    So now you have the sms transferred and still have the sms.vmsg file to go back to if you want to import some others... Or you could clear the sms.vmsg file and uninstall VMG Converter if you really want to.
    It's easy - I'm an old man and needed those sms because some important insurance details and phone numbers were there. I worked it out because I'm a stubborn old git who hates to be told that something can't be done. It will take you about as long as it took you to read this, just follow each step and you'll get the results you're looking for.
    Chas' solution-without SD CARD- as an edit of the johnGay (i think) did work for me, thanks for pointing out you could store the info somewhere else than an SD as my phone didn't have that option. I saved in a document/download file that was empty on each phone and you were right if I just did what it asked and followed the prompts after using the computer to drag/drop to the location I wanted on each phone...it found the file and imported all 87K messages from 2 years on my windows phone, thanks!! Clarification for anyone else and from another post mentioning the $2 upgrade, on the android you download both the regular converter and also the VMG upgrade that lets you use the original free version. It took me a while to backup all those and download on the phones but the process of transferring and importing was easy! thx to this info!
    I was going to use the Pampurio97 python option since it was free, but I'm no programmer understanding scripts, and after downloading last night my computer decided to no longer act right today and thought it might be after installing the new software so I tried another route and it worked. However his blog helped me to understand I needed the "contacts+messaging backup" app and after installing it on windows phone it was the first time I was able to backup my texts! Even the Samsung Smart Switch on both phones (only app compatible between my two) seemed to communicate/connect but then would stall out on the windows (probably due to the 87k texts) as it was trying to find data to transfer, and I didn't get anywhere.
    Thanks for all the input hopefully those looking will read through the whole blog before trying or asking more ?s..
    10-26-2016 12:57 AM
    So what happens when the "transfer my data app" can not find any text messages? I've run it several times, even restarted it (hard rest and soft reset) and it can not find any SMS. It finds my contacts, but not SMS.

Using a lumia 950xl with a SD card.

Thanks.
    11-21-2016 01:17 PM
    1.Use Contacts & Message Backup and save to your phone in a folder.
    2. Email the file to yourself.
    3. Install VMG Converter on your Android phone
    4. Save the file to your SD card on your new Android phone
    5. Change the Path and have let it scan for the file.
    6. Select the messages to import (you can select all).
    7. Click import and messages will be imported to your phone.
    12-18-2016 09:16 PM
    FYI VMG Converter works for BOTH MSG and VMSG file formats via a recent update
    So*no need to convert files back and forth using scripts or excel or anything*like that.
    Also,*I'd*also like to add that*VMG*Converter does not replace your existing messages on your android. it*adds to it. So there's no harm to your existing messages.
    12-27-2016 10:13 AM
    I used VMG Converter to transfer around 8K from Wp to Nougat 7.1.1 just fine.
    01-16-2017 07:02 PM
    So I just wanted to through my .02 in here. I have a 1520.3 (unlocked non-ATT) windows phone running on Windows Mobile 10 insiders ring. The screen issue has gotten to much and the phone is tripping. So I jumped to the S8+. So here is my experience.
    Just like Chas Rodgers said however:
    1. You will most likely have to download/install "Contacts+message backup"

2. Either way, with or without a SD card, it will work. If you have an SD card, it will create a folder on your SD card called "backup+restore". If you do not have a SD card, the app will ask you to save somewhere, pick a folder and it will create "backup+restore"

3.Inside "backup+restore", folders will be created based on the check boxes you selected. I did not need contacts since they sync to hotmail so I just selected SMS and MMS. So inside my "backup+restore" there were two folders, mmsBackup and smsBackup.

4. No this is where it is different than the directions from Chas. inside each folder there were two files. A "date it was created".hsh and "a date it was created".msg No VMSG, but that is okay since VMG handles them just fine.

5. Connect your windows phone to your PC. Make your life easy and just copy "backup+restore" to your PC.

6. Connect your android to your PC and copy "backup+restore" folder to the root of your storage. You can delete it later.

7. Download VMG on your android phone and launch it. It is probably not going to find your folder right of the bat, but just it Path button and auto. You are good to follow Chas directions from there.

FYI, I dropped the cash for the unlocked version. I have been on Windows phone since 7, so I had 19K+ SMS and 6600+ MMS, all imported!
    04-21-2017 07:24 PM
    Hello guys. You can try Import SMS from Windows Phone app. It is Free and has no limit for the messages which can be imported. It has no Ads.

Simply copy the .vmsg/.msg into your Android device and the app will search for all the backup files. You can select from which numbers you want to import your SMS messages or you can import them all at once.
    pampurio97 and ruddevil like this.
    04-24-2017 02:45 AM
    Hi every one, I don't know whether this forum is still active.

I started importing my SMS from Lumia to Android and for 2 days it has not completed.

What do I do?

Thanks
    05-08-2017 06:35 AM
    Hi, what method did you follow?
    05-08-2017 07:08 AM
    Hello guys. You can try Import SMS from Windows Phone app. It is Free and has no limit for the messages which can be imported. It has no Ads.

Simply copy the .vmsg/.msg into your Android device and the app will search for all the backup files. You can select from which numbers you want to import your SMS messages or you can import them all at once.
    Thanks for the app. It worked fine.
    05-12-2017 10:22 PM
99 ... 234