Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Helium backup users - questions from a newbie Helium user

Hi,

I'm trying out the Helium app + the PC version for my backup and I think I may have misunderstood some of the info I read on it. I only have the free version at the moment for trying it out. I managed to make a backup to my SD card which I can see when I hook my phone up to a USB cable. I'm now backing up to Dropbox as well to see how that goes.

I feel rather silly asking these questions because they seem so basic, but this kind of backup is really new to me and I want to understand fully how it works before I purchase IF I purchase. So please forgive my ignorance. There's a bit more setup and use to this than MyBackup Pro which is what I've been using so far but I love the idea of having my backups on my PC.

I *thought* that it would backup directly to my PC but I have not found an option for this, did I misunderstand and I will always have to use the USB cable to see the backup?

Can I delete things from Helium backups on my SD card when viewing on my PC without messing up the Helium backup app?

The screen for Helium on my Note 3, displays a checkbox for backing up App Data only. If I un-check this does it mean it will backup the Apps *and* the data or just the data meaning I'd then have to make two backups, one for apps and one for the app data?

Might have more questions later but this will do for now.

Thanks so much for your help,
    Deb

PS: Backup to Dropbox complete and I just found that a number of apps that thought were backing up show "Backup Disallowed" anyone know why?
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Default Re: Helium backup users - questions from a newbie Helium user

Certain apps cannot be backed up via Helium, probably something to do with the app itself.

If you uncheck app data only then it would backup app and app data

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hmm, sounds like maybe this isn't going to work. I don't need it to be skipping apps. Thank you for your help.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb

It should do most apps but I had a few that it couldn't do

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The list of ones it skipped was pretty long. I've uninstalled it thank you for your help.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb

Global Posts
    14,663 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

The ones it won't back up are usually system apps. They come with the phone and if you should ever need to "restore" one of those, your phone probably wouldn't be working anyway. (It surprises many people that there are so many system apps in an Android phone - but there are.)

You should keep separate backups of all the apps you install. One of these days, the developer is going to "improve" the app, you'll get an update and wonder if he lost his mind. Restore the backup of the old version. (Just ask people who have been through the last 3 or 4 revisions of Google's navigation app - it seems to get worse with each version.)

I've been using the free version of Helium to back up my data for quite a while, and have no problem with it. I simply copy the files from the SD card to my computer, then to my NAS (huge drive on the network) then to my Google cloud account. (I do this with anything I don't want to lose.) The odds of the phone, computer, drive and Google all going bad at the same time make winning the Powerball every week look like a sure thing. (I hate it when someone posts that they had a video of the baby's first steps and no backup, and the phone is shot. That baby is never going to take its first steps again.) Being paranoid about backing up isn't possible. Data that's gone is gone. But I'm on the east coast and Google is on the west coast, so even if the east coast disappeared when I was on a trip somewhere else, I wouldn't lose my data.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thank you, Rukbat. I may try again, now that I know more from the responses here.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    The ones it won't back up are usually system apps. They come with the phone and if you should ever need to "restore" one of those, your phone probably wouldn't be working anyway. (It surprises many people that there are so many system apps in an Android phone - but there are.)
    I just tried again and it's not just system apps it's not backing up I see a list of about 15 apps I installed from the Play Store that are reported as Backup Disallowed. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
    Deb

Global Posts
    14,663 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Sounds like something the people who wrote those programs did to prevent doing what you want.

Don't question it - some of us programmers aren't entirely sane (he says with 40 years of experience backing the claim up).