Galaxy S5 Trouble moving music to phone / SD card - help!

BondPatrickBond

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a new Galaxy S5 with a 64GB SD card that I'm trying to load up with my music library.

I formatted the SD card in the phone, created a Music directory on the card, plugged the phone into the PC using the USB cord and started moving files using Windows. When I tried to play the songs, some of the files were fine and other sounded skippy or choppy. Then I took a closer look at the folders and after all that time of moving files (maybe 100 albums) , all the folders beyond the first 30 or so were empty. So it looks like it created the folders for each artist and album but the songs have all vanished.

Help! Anybody else have this problem? And what did you do to fix?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem is usually moving massive amounts of data via USB. If you connect the phone through a USB hub it's even worse. Try copying a MB or so at a time. (If you don't want to keep track of what you've copied, make a folder on the computer and copy (DON'T move - copy) everything you want to put on the phone into that folder. Then copy a couple of megs to the phone, delete the files from the computer, copy a few megs more, etc. When the folder is empty you should have it all on the phone.

I've seen this with phones, I've seen it with cameras, I've seen it with card readers. Since it's probably not something "fixable" without writing a lot of code (if even that would do it), and doing it a bit at a time seems to work no matter how much data you're transferring (I wrote a little program to copy one full 3TB drive to another, pausing for 1 second after each file - don't ask how long it took, I came back a few days later and it was done), I stopped worrying about what was causing it. There are too many problems that I can't get around but I can fix that I don't worry about the ones I can get around.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Afaik Google has disabled user-selected writes to the external SD card in 4.4
They don't want your stuff on your external SD card.
They want your stuff in their cloud.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can always put it in a card reader, plug the card reader into the computer, and write anything you want to it. Windows doesn't respect Android's "security".

BondPatrickBond

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I tried doing it in batches and it worked sporadically. Then I picked up a card reader and still had trouble, so I started thinking that maybe it was a card issue rather than a phone issue. Picked up a new SD card and presto! everything worked. Really appreciate the help!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In the future stick with SanDisk. They'll replace a defective card, even if it's intermittently defective like yours.