OMGWTFBBQ I hate Chrome for Android

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
At least on my new Tegra Note 7. The problem I am having is that these are both running the same OS version, with the same build of Chrome, but yet the both look completely different and there is nothing I can do about it. Basically what I want to know is, why can't I change my "tab switcher" on my TN7 to match the version of Chrome that I have on my Nexus 5? Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

Nexus 5:
Screenshot_2014-04-19-18-28-46.jpg

Basically, you have an address bar, and a little button with the number of open tabs on it. Click the little button, and you get to see your tabs all at once, thus allowing you to swipe them closed very quickly and efficiently.

Now turn your attention to the catastrophe that is the TN7:
Screenshot_2014-04-19-18-30-33.png

There is no button, there is just this hideous tab bar that I can't get rid of. Is there any way to change it to look like the one on Nexus 5? This is just so damn ugly. And yes, I tried the flag regarding "Accessibility Tab Switcher" in Chrome://flags, but it didn't do anything.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can change that. Is just a design choice by Google. Obviously a tablet has a lot more screen to work with than a phone, so naturally this is Google's way of taking advantage of as much of the space as possible on a 7" screen. Having the same exact interface like the Chrome for smartphones would seem kind of wasteful. Of course that's all preference, but for now it is what it is.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally love Chrome for Android and won't use any other. I don't mind that tabbed view at the top.. I'd take either of those (although mine is like the Nexus 5 one).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
So on a tablet, I am forced to give up all of the optimizations for mobile that are found on the phone version, but I am not allowed to use any of the features for desktop, like extensions? So it isn't as good as either version...Google couldn't possibly have been so short-sighted as to saddle tablet users with an app that utterly fails in every area....right? D:

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So on a tablet, I am forced to give up all of the optimizations for mobile that are found on the phone version, but I am not allowed to use any of the features for desktop, like extensions? So it isn't as good as either version...Google couldn't possibly have been so short-sighted as to saddle tablet users with an app that utterly fails in every area....right? D:

Agreed. They worked hard to mimic the look of the Chrome for Desktop on their tablets, but none of the features.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Chrome interface changes based on the size and type of the device. I know that Paranoid Android used to have a mechanism to fool phone apps into thinking they were tablet apps. This can also be done by editing the build prop (requires root) and telling your device that it is a different device. I am not aware of a way to do so selectively only on certain apps, so most likely telling your Note that it is a Nexus 5 would result in all apps functioning as 5" phone apps and the Play Store compatibility settings being defaulted to the N5 rather than your TN7.

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I guess I will just return the Tegra Note back to NewEgg then. It just feels like a chump compared to my N5. I would have got a Nexus 7 (2013), but the processor on that can't push the massive resolution it has on new games, which is the only reason I bought a tablet. And if all tablets are going to have "design differences", then I will just stick to what I know I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech