Samsung Galaxy S4 file transfer

meolebamboo

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Any help would be much appreciated on this
So i've been reading through a lot of threads and many are helpful but unfortunately not in my circumstance
I have a samsung galaxy s4 and i need to get some files off it, saved photos, possibly contacts etc. however, i smashed the screen and digitiser pretty good so there is no touch recognition. the phone itself is recognised on my macbook however i stupidly made it to be recognised in photo capture not MTP. Can anyone advise me on how to simply send all my data across directly from my phone to the laptop. I also dont have a spare samsung lying about for the motherboard switch and please dont link me threads to these as i've most likely already seem them
Hope to hear back soon
Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
send all my data across directly from my laptop.

"From" your laptop, Chris?

If you had backed up regularly you wouldn't have this problem. Never keep your data in just one place.
Also: next time you might want to set your S4 to auto-upload (a.k.a. 'backup') any new photos to your personal cloud. That way they will also always automatically be accessible from your laptop, broken screen or not.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can back up to Google, Box, etc., etc.

Which doesn't help you now. About your only out, unless you know where the pictures are, physically, in storage (then you can use dd through adb to dump them to the SD card and recover them later) is to temporarily replace the screen (that's how it's done by recovery services) and get the pictures off using any of the normal methods - Airdroid, Kies, Wifi File Transfer, etc.

See if there's an independent cellphone shop in your town that does repairs, has a "parted" (parts taken from a really "not worth fixing" phone) S4 screen and will "rent" you the screen (in their store, of course) for you to get the pictures off. When I had my stores (I retired), I used to keep at least a few working screens for every model I could get my hands on. I'm an ordained "minister" in the "Church of Back It Up", and I keep trying to get converts. If you didn't back it up to at least 2 different devices (a cloud account counts as a device) you don't really need it. Don't worry about being paranoid. With the price of free cloud accounts, have 5 backups.

meolebamboo

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys, unfortunately after lots of trail and error and a lot of travelling to independent mobile repair shops there is pretty much no way of getting the files off, and with a new screen being ?180, looks like the phone is dead, but thanks anyway :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz