Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to find phone

Still relatively new, I have a Samsung Ring thru Virgin. I saw a techie on TV say that androids that are lost/stolen can be found with settings. I went into Location services and saw 3 different choices, all were on.
    If so:
    How would I find my phone through computer and/or landline phone? Is this protection sufficient?
    I know there's Find Phone apps but what do they do that the android doesn't?

Default Re: How to find phone

Have you lost your device or just trying to get a feel for what's out there and how each works?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Just trying to find out what's best, and Samsung doesn't really give much information on this except that it has its own, which I mentioned. I tended to leave my cellphone in my car or cafes as I don't really use cell/smartphones that much, working at home where I use my landline about 90%.
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

With apps like Cerberus, Lookout, or AndroidLost you can remotely track your phone on a map, make it scream, send messages to its screen, trigger the camera, wipe it, etc. etc.
    I rely on the free app AndroidLost, which you can install on the device AFTER you lost it!

Of course you can also install AndroidLost now, before you lose the device, if you want to test the app's efficacy.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I still haven't braved this new world of apps, I have google acct but can I create a new one for my phone, I already have several accts for Google and don't want to mix them up.

You can use Google's own Android Device Manager, which is a part of all Android devices. Go to Settings>Security>Device administrators, and check the box for Android Device Manager. Then go to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager to see how you can remotely locate or wipe your device. In order for your phone to be located, some kind of location service has to be on. GPS is obviously the most accurate, but wifi and/or mobile data will work as well.