Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Automatic timezone incorrect on Wifi

I'm testing a hybrid phone/scanner that came from China and I noticed the time was wrong on it (we don't use the phone part), so I went into time settings and it was set to automatic date & time and timezone, but when I turned off automatic timezone it said it was still China even though I've been using the device for a week. When I look up our IP on the web it says it's in the US in the correct state so I don't understand why Android is not locating the phone by IP.

I've noticed on other Android phones the time randomly goes incorrect when off cell service (like on my old Droid 2 or Galaxy Tab which I keep the cell service off for), so this appears to be a bug in Android. Is there a way I can smack the phone so it does it automatically or do I always have to expect Google not to do this right and make me have to manually set the timezone (and sometimes the time)?

Default Re: Automatic timezone incorrect on Wifi

Not sure what's up with that hybrid phone, but in general, Android requires a cell signal to determine your time zone--it can't use Wi-Fi or GPS to do this. This isn't really a bug--it's just how Android works. Time and date can be determined from the web, but you have to manually select your time zone if there is no cell signal.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Why can't Android determine my timezone from Wifi when when every website I go to on a computer (or the phone for that matter) can tell me my IP address and location? Can't a timezone be determined from a location? This seems like a major design flaw in Android, especially considering the Nexus 7 did not originally come with cell service and neither do some other popular Android devices (nor are they required to).

You'd need to ask Android engineers about that.