Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default First Tablet

Hi,

I just need a few pointers regarding a first purchase. I have recently acquired a Samsung S3 Mini smartphone and wondered why Inever bought one when they first came out. I love the Android interface and the phone does everything I want and more.

I do private tutoring and I want a really decent, reliable tablet to show resources, videos, etc., to students. I am looking at the Nexus 7. I can't always rely on clients having WiFi (most do) so I need 3G or 4G connectivity. I've been looking at the many available products but most reviews go back about 6 months. There's no easy-to-find up-to-date information.

I need to show documents (pdfs, images, videos)
    I need to be able to display YouTube content
    I need a good quality display and good battery life

The one I have identified as most suitable is "Asus Nexus 7 WI-FI + 4G LTE 32GB Qualcomm 32 GB 2048 MB Android 7 -inch LCD". A 3G device would probably be as good. I still need to do research on the most cost-effective data-only plan but whatever I go with there will be a connectivity cost in the absence of WiFi.

I can buy the above for 283.17. Is my choice a fairly decent one? Is there anything I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Ric

Global Posts
    2,843 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: First Tablet

Aside from all the bad tings I've read about ASUS tablets (and I'm not anti-ASUS, I've owned a few desktops of theirs and have no gripes the the product, just their "tech support"), I wouldn't feel comfortable about buying one.

Samsung is good (as you know, you own a product of theirs), Nexus (Google) is good. Nexus is probably the best "bang for the buck" in any category, but they may not have what you need.

BTW, the "Android" interface you like is the Samsung TouchWiz interface. Nexus is as pure Android s you cn get. Every other manufacturer adds their own little things. But that's the launcher, and there are dozens of them you can install.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: First Tablet

I have a 2013 Nexus 7 (wifi only), and my experience has been completely positive. It's very fast, and the screen is terrific. I don't have any direct experience with the 4G LTE version of the Nexus 7, but I would think that it is also an excellent device. Rukbat, when you recommend against Asus, are you referring to Asus-branded tablets like their MeMO Pads and Transformers, or to the Asus-built but Google-branded Nexus 7?
    Thanked by: