Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mightyfacundo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about tablet lag

Hi there

I have tried and failed to find a thread on this, so apologies if I have missed something.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2 and it is incredibly laggy now, to the point where I am thinking about a new tablet. My question is whether any of the new tablets out there are any better? I need expandable memory, so the Nexus range is out, but have heard good things about some of the new Asus models - does anyone have any advice? I wouldn't mind a new Samsung, but understand that even the new 2014 models still have lag issues.

All help is gratefully appreciated!

Global Posts
    20,730 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Question about tablet lag

Quote Originally Posted by Kulu21 View Post
    Hi there

I have tried and failed to find a thread on this, so apologies if I have missed something.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2 and it is incredibly laggy now, to the point where I am thinking about a new tablet. My question is whether any of the new tablets out there are any better? I need expandable memory, so the Nexus range is out, but have heard good things about some of the new Asus models - does anyone have any advice? I wouldn't mind a new Samsung, but understand that even the new 2014 models still have lag issues.

All help is gratefully appreciated!
    Welcome to the forums.
    I would suggest rebooting into recovery and clearing the cache partition. See if that helps.
    Not sure which method will work, but try one of these: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

You can also try downloading an app called "Clean Master" from the Play Store. I can't guarantee that it does as thorough a job as booting into recovery and clearing the cache, but it should do a good enough job to give you an idea if that's what's slowing your tablet down. Also try hitting the Memory Boost in Clean Master, which will temporarily open up some RAM, to see if that makes a difference. I know it helped on my old Asus.

As far as new tablets go, I picked up the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 about a month ago, and I'm very happy with it. I had a bad experience with Asus, so I'm avoiding any Asus products from now on. The Pro 8.4 does have expandable storage, although what you can put on the sd card is limited because of Kit Kat. However, there is virtually no lag (compared to my old Asus), and it handles everything I throw at it. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

The LG G Pad 8.3 gets a lot of good reviews, and has a microSD slot.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Cheers all, thank you for the advice.

Am trying to cache clear the machine (keep getting an error for some reason) but will persist!

Global Posts
    2,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

1) What error?

2) Never count on an SD card for "expanding" the app storage of an Android device. It'll expand the storage for data (pictures, videos, documents, etc.), but not all apps can be run from SD, and a lot that can, can only have parts moved to the SD card.

Count on needing a new device every few years. With a PC, or even a laptop, you can expand RAM and drive space to extend the use a while, but with a phone or Android tab, until they redesign the hardware, so the internal storage is modular and can be expanded, any device becomes too small after a few years.

Oh, and http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-my...ml#post6219209 might give you some more storage - it depends on how much has been logged. (You don't need the log unless you're debugging a particular program - it should have been designed to be off by default.)
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

1) The error is just a picture of the android on its back with the word "Error" underneath it - sorry but I don't have any more info than that.

2) Thanks - as you say, the SD card is really for data instead of apps (I am taking coursera classes, so the video lectures are saved to the card, plus a couple of movies).

Thanks also for the advice and the link; I was afraid that someone would tell me the device I have is getting a bit old and smelly! I think you might be right, it's just a pain having to spend that much money every few years.

Global Posts
    2,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Kulu21 View Post
    it's just a pain having to spend that much money every few years.
    It depends on how you use your phone. To my wife "it's just a phone", so hers will probably last her 5 or 10 years with no problem. (She doesn't even have an SD card in it - her internal storage is almost empty.) Mine is an easier way to carry my laptop with me - I do development on it. I'm retired and no golden parachute, so I have to be content with this phone for at least a few years, but unless they stop the nonsense, I'll still be running 4.3 when it becomes "that old phone in the drawer that I bring out for emergencies". No root? No Safestrap slots? Not on my phone. (I totally wiped out all the ROMS on the phone, due to a stupid error. No problem. Boot to Safestrap, restore a couple of ROMs, reboot. 5 minutes wasted due to stupidity - not a bricked phone.)