Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TB-1599
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking about switching from my Iphone 5 to my first Galaxy.

So I wanted to get something different and I am really considering the GS5. The two things that have me a little worried are this all of my music and movies. (about 5000 songs) are all managed by Itunes. Can I still manage and transfer all of my music? Also does anybody know if the Galaxy phones are compatible with the Kia Souls?
    dfplaya likes this.

ROM
    Jedi Elite KK V1.1

Default Re: Thinking about switching from my Iphone 5 to my first Galaxy.

Making a good decision, difficult to adjust at first but you won't regret it. Your media is stored into a folder from itunes, you can find it in the settings so that won't be a problem plus managing it via SD card is 10x easier. As for the vehicle compatibility im not sure? :P

Global Posts
    15,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

There are apps for Android that read the iTunes data on your computer, so if your iPhone is synced to your computer, you should be able to just sync to your Android. (Don't know about the car - there are too many Bluetooth variations to keep track of ll of them.)

Make CERTAIN that you drop your phone from iMessage before switching over, or anyone with an iPhone iMessaging you will be sending texts to a dead phone. It's a hassle doing it after you switched the account to another phone. http://phandroid.com/2014/04/07/turn...ne-to-android/ And if their messages still don't get to your S5, tell each of them to send you at least one TEXT message. iMessage (on their phones) will pick that up and keep the information stored, so when they forget and iMessage you it'll still go as an SMS.

One thing you should be aware of. In an iPhone, there''s normally one way to do things (sometimes as many as 2 ways), so you just do it that way. With Android, any developer is free to write any app he wants, so there are 25 ways to do exactly the same thing and 200 apps to do it with. You have to make decisions. A lot of owning an Android phone is downloading apps to see which one you like best. They all do the same thing, but that button is in an inconvenient place for the way you hold your phone, so ... If you don't like constantly making decisions, Android isn't for you. But if you want the phone set up your way, doing what you want, the way you want, an iPhone isn't for you.

One of Apple's old sales lines was "the computer for the rest of us" - I translate that as "the computer for the lemmings". They carried that philosophy over to iStuff. There's so much more you can do with an Android. But if you don't want to be doing anything but using the camera app for pictures, the dialer app for making calls, iMessage for messaging, etc., iPhone is the phone for you. A lot of people coming from iPhones complain that there are too many choices. So I hope you like choices.

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Google Music Manager works fine if you don't mind using Google Play Music. Just install it and it will sync all your iTunes music no problems.

I made the switch last week, and between the music I had on iTunes and my new subscription to All Access, my music needs are more than covered.

Good luck.

Sent from my Moto X...

Also, just be aware that you probably won't be able to play music through your USB port like you typically can with an iPhone. I wish I could connect my HTC One up to my Hyundai Elantra because I can use car controls and see metadata if I use the USB port but don't if I use bluetooth. With BT, all I get is "MP3 Play" shown on my screen and have to use the phone to skip tracks.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    There are apps for Android that read the iTunes data on your computer, so if your iPhone is synced to your computer, you should be able to just sync to your Android. (Don't know about the car - there are too many Bluetooth variations to keep track of ll of them.)

Make CERTAIN that you drop your phone from iMessage before switching over, or anyone with an iPhone iMessaging you will be sending texts to a dead phone. It's a hassle doing it after you switched the account to another phone. http://phandroid.com/2014/04/07/turn...ne-to-android/ And if their messages still don't get to your S5, tell each of them to send you at least one TEXT message. iMessage (on their phones) will pick that up and keep the information stored, so when they forget and iMessage you it'll still go as an SMS.

One thing you should be aware of. In an iPhone, there''s normally one way to do things (sometimes as many as 2 ways), so you just do it that way. With Android, any developer is free to write any app he wants, so there are 25 ways to do exactly the same thing and 200 apps to do it with. You have to make decisions. A lot of owning an Android phone is downloading apps to see which one you like best. They all do the same thing, but that button is in an inconvenient place for the way you hold your phone, so ... If you don't like constantly making decisions, Android isn't for you. But if you want the phone set up your way, doing what you want, the way you want, an iPhone isn't for you.

One of Apple's old sales lines was "the computer for the rest of us" - I translate that as "the computer for the lemmings". They carried that philosophy over to iStuff. There's so much more you can do with an Android. But if you don't want to be doing anything but using the camera app for pictures, the dialer app for making calls, iMessage for messaging, etc., iPhone is the phone for you. A lot of people coming from iPhones complain that there are too many choices. So I hope you like choices.
    I think I have made my decision. I am going to get the GS5 my iphones have always been nice but its really hard to customize it the way I wanted (unless you jailbreak it) So if I can just figure a few things out with my media. I have alot of music and videos in itunes and I remember reading someplace that music from itunes used to encoded in such a way that only an I device could play it. (unless you ripped it to a cd ) but they stopped this practice correct?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by clemson77on View Post
    Also, just be aware that you probably won't be able to play music through your USB port like you typically can with an iPhone. I wish I could connect my HTC One up to my Hyundai Elantra because I can use car controls and see metadata if I use the USB port but don't if I use bluetooth. With BT, all I get is "MP3 Play" shown on my screen and have to use the phone to skip tracks.
    Thats what I am trying to figure out. I can hook up my Iphone with USB to my 2013 Kia Soul with UVO, and I get all the album and track data. Which I still get if I use BT but the controls are then a little limited.