Why do I need to periodically reboot Evo?

Fisherking

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that I periodically need to reboot my Evo, ie, turn it off and remove/reinstall battery. I've done this when the Evo doesn't perform as it's supposed to, e.g., when I can't see my text messages being typed in landscape or when I attach the Evo to the PC via USB cable but the dialogue box doesn't come up giving me the option to mount. Otherwise, I rarely power off the Evo (ie, its power on 24/7).

Does anyone else have this problem and is there something I can do to prevent the need to reboot, or is this simply a function of having a complex set of features? Thanks

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I do have the same issue. I believe it is probably just of rooting it even shut down and reboot by it self. Didn't do it before rooting. I think it might be the overclocking and voltage change that makes it run kinda unstable but oh well its ok I guess. That's what u get for ****ing around with a few phone. Lol

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Difficult to say. You'd need to troubleshoot the matter. What's using your CPU? I've seen Watchdog recommended for this but have never used it myself.

Fisherking

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Takeshi. I'll check out Watchdog. Re CPU usage, I've added about 6 or 7 apps since buying the phone and the main ones I use are web browser, music, Slacker Radio, and MP3 Music Download. I periodically kill them via advanced task killer.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I know it's a sucky option but typically when these kinds of problems crop up, doing a factory restore fixes the problem. Just make sure to backup you contacts and sync with app brain so you can reinstall all your apps after words.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I reset mine every morning in order to keep the Bluetooth functionality functioning properly. Also, all electronic devices need a reboot/reset periodically. Factory restore/reset or whatever really takes care of it for a short period of time.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I wish that there was an app that woudl reboot the phone every night at some certain time.

Even if your phone is working perfectly, a daily reboot keeps it at top speed..

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
It does. I do a nightly backup with Sprite Backup. In the WM release the device reboots after the backup is done. I will send a note to the developers requesting it.