Apps instead of web sites?

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm a new EVO user, my wife upgraded 2 weeks ago to a Galaxy S. I couldn't find anything about this question and I used a few different search terms. So here's my question. Why use apps if there's a web site available? I've noticed that a lot of the apps have to connect to the internet anyway. Wouldn't bookmarks take up a lot less memory than an app? Are apps better for some reason than a web site? I can understand for something like games or Dataviz or a lot of other apps that I've installed I'm not sure about some of them I've installed because there's web sites available. Thanks for any help or advise, I'm trying to decide if I want to keep these apps or bookmark the web sites. Stuff like Pay Pal and Ebay, Blogger, Picassa etc,,etc.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Apps provide a better experience to what that site offers. The apps will allow for a far greater feature set over a mobile version of a website. Apps also allow you a greater range of functionality with out having to worry about some web plug in ie flash,java,silverlight,etc

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
i agree with the op, but with watching or hearing content, why not use a podcast app instead of engaget,twit.tv or others. All my content in one earea, all content downloaded while i sleep, since a podcast app caches most data.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Why use apps if there's a web site available? I've noticed that a lot of the apps have to connect to the internet anyway.
Depends on the app/website. You can make some generalizations but they won't apply in all cases. In many cases, an app provides a streamlined interface that can be more responsive than the web site.

That said, there are some cases where I prefer to use the web site because the app is missing functionality.

Personal preference also plays into it. Try both and figure out what you prefer. What I (or anyone else) prefer doesn't really matter unless it happens to jive with your own preferences.

BetaRoc

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
IMO, its almost purely for the user interface that almost always provides a faster, cleaner and simpler way to navigate the service.

Like Takeshi mentioned though, there are a few sites I navigate to though in my browser because there isn't a decent app for it yet. Yahoo Mail is one such example.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49