A bit confused - new to android

Phnick1

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have been an iPhone user for years now, but for my tablet I refuse to pay twice as much for the privilege of owning an ipad.

I am looking at getting the Galaxy Tab 3 or the Tab 4 that comes out tomorrow. But there are two things I just don't get and it makes me nervous about jumping to a new OS.

1. Is it free to setup MS Exchange email on an android? I want to be able to check my work email and personal email all in one place. iOS makes it very easy to add corporate email.

2. If I get the older Tab 3, is it easy to just upgrade to the latest OS? Someone told me they are built for specific devices.

Anyway, any thoughts you have to make my decision easier I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks, Nick

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. MS Exchange email is supported in Android in the native, manufacturer, and third party Mail apps. set up should be no more costly or difficult vs. iOS because it's a standard email protocol.
2. if you buy a non-Nexus device - the OS version update could lag behind the latest and greatest version. hence - if having the latest version is important to you - it's best to buy a Nexus device.

https://www.google.com/nexus/7/

http://www.google.com/nexus/10/

good luck.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple makes the iPhone hardware and Apple makes iOS, so they make sure that a new version of iOS runs on all existing devices,and a new device runs iOS.

Android phones are made by any company that wants to make them, and they have to modify the OS to work on the particular phone (or tablet), so if the company doesn't modify a later version for an older tablet,m there won't be such an update for that tablet. After that, the carrier makes its own modifications, and if they don't modify the manufacturer's update for an older tablet, that tablet won't get that version.

If you want something that just works, that you don't have to make any decisions about (IOW, you like playing inside the fence), use an iPad. If you preferring roaming in the woods, picking up whichever flower strikes your eye, use Android devices. You'll have to accept the fact that after t or three years you won't be getting any more updates, and that what's one or two apps in the Apple world is 5,000 apps in the Android world, only 25 of them being really good. But you have to read, ask questions or try them to find out which ones are good and which ones you're going to uninstall 5 minutes after you install them.