4G no longer dims when Wifi connects

bearcatflex

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.2

This is quite odd. My mobile data (4G LTE) symbol in the header area used to dim (like when you disable mobile) when my Wifi kicked in and it does not anymore.

So it always appears that both 4G and Wifi are active at the same time. Only after watching which up/down arrows are flickering do I know which is working.

And on some occasions, the arrows on both flicker. I am not 100% sure, but I think this started after I turned on the Ultra Power Savings mode.

Can anything be done to resolve this?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.2

This is quite odd. My mobile data (4G LTE) symbol in the header area used to dim (like when you disable mobile) when my Wifi kicked in and it does not anymore.

So it always appears that both 4G and Wifi are active at the same time. Only after watching which up/down arrows are flickering do I know which is working.

And on some occasions, the arrows on both flicker. I am not 100% sure, but I think this started after I turned on the Ultra Power Savings mode.

Can anything be done to resolve this?

I have the Galaxy S4, and since I updated to KitKat, my 4G/3G icon don't disappear when I activate Wi-Fi. I've mentioned this in other forums and many others are experiencing the same thing. I went into my settings with Wi-Fi on and 4G showing, and it said I was off the mobile network. The S5 may be different, but access your settings under "about pbone" I believe, and see if your phone is using Wi-Fi data or 4G data. So even though it is deceiving, you likely aren't using allocated data when you are connected to Wi-Fi. But it doesn't hurt to check. Hope that helps.

Posted via Android Central App

bearcatflex

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Which settings were you looking in to verify this?

I guess I am just confused as it was working fine just yesterday.

Has anyone mentioned a factory reset? I don't have much on the phone yet so I might give it a go.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Which settings were you looking in to verify this?

I guess I am just confused as it was working fine just yesterday.

Has anyone mentioned a factory reset? I don't have much on the phone yet so I might give it a go.

Go to settings - > more - > about phone - > status - > mobile network state - it should say "disconnected" If Wi-Fi is enabled. That will validate your question.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
A factory reset won't change anything. It is a design characteristic of Android 4.4.2.

bearcatflex

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Still says connected even though WIFI is on and the arrows are flickering.

I turned off mobile data, and it stills says connected. And I kept it off, restarted the phone and it still says connected.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Still says connected even though WIFI is on and the arrows are flickering.

I turned off mobile data, and it stills says connected. And I kept it off, restarted the phone and it still says connected.

Interesting. I figured the similarities between the S4 and S5 would be close enough where the directions I gave you would state that mobile data is disconnected. Two suggestions - Repost this question on a dedicated Galaxy S5 forum here on Android Central or get in touch with Verizon tech support. You'll probably find a faster answer on the forums and I can't say I've ever had a great experience with Verizon tech support. Other S5 owners on this forum are usually knowledgeable and can address and possibly resolve your issue. Sorry my suggestion didn't work.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

bearcatflex

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Totally just figured this out. I am Verizon customer.

It's the Caller Name ID app. Immediately after disabling it, the 4G symbol dimmed as normal.

And thank you for the suggestions. Nice to see the community is active and responsive.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Totally just figured this out. I am Verizon customer.

It's the Caller Name ID app. Immediately after disabling it, the 4G symbol dimmed as normal.

And thank you for the suggestions. Nice to see the community is active and responsive.

Nice detective work! I wouldn't have thought of that. Glad you were able to figure it out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz