Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default New to Android...sort of

I am having to switch from AT&T to Verizon because if some network changes with AT&T that left me with no service at my home. I have been using an iPhone 5S since it came out. I am not heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem so switching will be relatively painless in that regard. However, I am not really very knowledgeable on the newer Android devices. I love the battery life of the Droid Maxx but that phone has been out for a while. How is it with updates? My son has the HTC M8 and it seems kinda odd with its design. Seems like there should be more screen real estate for a phone that size. What phones would you guys recommend to someone coming from an iPhone? Software updates, zippy performance, and good battery life are important to me. I don't care if it's metal or plastic. It's going in a case anyway. It could be made of cardboard for all I care. I'm okay with a just a decent camera. I'm not a photographer. Pics that look bad to reviewers look fine to me. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: New to Android...sort of

Love my Note 3.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

I would suggest the Note3 even though the screensize will probably be overwhelming at first coming from the 4 inch 5s iPhone (posting from experience). I can actually see my screen now without reading glasses (smile ..the eyes aren't what they use to be). I got use to the screeensize after approx one day.

Check out the Moto X. Excellent build and performance, good size screen without being a giant phone, and some nifty features like touchless controls. It will probably get system updates fairly quickly.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

You also need to – imo – have a good look at the brandnew 'One' from OnePlus: even better specs than the Samsung Galaxy S5, at half the price! And gorgeous styling!

If you want to go for the 'One': it will ship in June, so you will need something to tide you over until then.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I really like the One Plus but isn't there going to be limited availability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had iphone, I've had Droid, but I recommend the Note 3. Every time I had a Motorola Droid, I loved it at first but every update crashed all my settings it was a nightmare. I find the Note 3 to be much more stable.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

That would be a huge step up in screen size. I actually like the asmall

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Oops. I like the small size of the iPhone.

One HUGE flaw with that suggestion! I see NOTHING that says that phone will work on Verizon, GSM only.

I'll second the suggestion of Moto X. If you don't need a huge screen (Note 3 size) and like manufacturer add-on capabilities that won't slow down updates yet still add GREAT functionality, the Moto X is a GREAT choice. Review sites have said it also, specs be darned, this phone DOES perform well.

Moto X is going to be the closest size to iPhone with the newest specs and great battery life..
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I checked out the Moto X. I don't know why this phone didn't sell any better than it did. It is really an awesome phone.

Many people discount it because it doesn't have a 1080p screen, or only has a dual-core CPU. In reality, the device is highly optimized and really has some fantastic features while not being bogged down by a manufacturer's "skin" like Sense or TouchWiz.