1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking for my first Android phone - Which one?

I'm looking to buy my first Android device. The things I want from the phone are speed, hack-ability (I want to be able to root the phone and mod the phone to my liking) and I want a phone that will have unofficial updates support (say my provider wont upgrade my handset to gingerbread for 6months or whatever, I'd like to be able install unofficial update from the community).

I'm new to the hacking community. I've never had an Android device so I haven't had the desire to learn how to hack different devices or to learn whats possibles to do on which phone and so on. So I've come to ask for your help.

I'm from Canada so my choices are limited:

-Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
    -Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (There's no "search" button, is that a big deal?)
    -HTC Desire Z (G2 with sense)
    -HTC Desire (Kind of dated, not really interested)

Right now I'm thinking the Desire Z is the best choice, it has a very nice keyboard, it will most likely get updates ported from the G2, it's GPU has some sort of flash accelerator, and I've heard the 800mhz isn't that big of a deal since there is a much improved GPU. But then again the Galaxy S phones are very popular and have a very fast processor. But I'm not sure about hack-ability and update-ability of the Galaxy S phones (or the Desire phones for that matter ).

What do you guys think?

I'm not real familiar with the community around any of these devices. You might want to search around for forums and other resources for hacking/modding these devices to see what looks to be most active unless someone familiar with these can chime in.