Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to hide my device from local network (at work)

At work, we are networked together (not wireless), anyone can type, for example \\cpu1253\c$ and you are now mapped to that person's computer, you can view anything on there and they don't even know you are in their computer. So I am wondering how to hide or protect my phone when it's plugged in, just charging or as a disc drive. I could use a wall charger but when I want to do file transfers, I am not sure if anyone can access my phone (Samsung S4). I am not sure what kind of network our company is on, when I log in from home, it comes to a SSL-VPN screen, another says Sonic Wall. Today I tried the properties option in the folder I had open with my phone and there was no "no share" option that I could see. Thanks for any help!
    R.L.Hamm

Default Re: How to hide my device from local network (at work)

I'm by no means a network expert to help hide your phone wired to it, but would it be feasible to buy a USB Bluetooth adaptor for the computer? Then you could maybe push files from the phone to the computer via Bluetooth. It shouldn't be possible for any computer, not even the computer you're sending to, to be able to browse your phone. The other ones wouldn't even see the connection.

Isn't there a setting to not automatically connect to any network unless you manually connect?

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

If you are just charging, why not just use a wall charger?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The C$ (for the local C: drive) is a hidden administrative share created automatically by Windows for fixed drives (see this for reference: Administrative share - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It's a method that allows remote access to the drive for system administrators (or anyone with full administrator access to the computer who knows to use the C$ to access the hidden share).

Removable drives however, such as when you connect your phone to the computer, do NOT automatically get the shared drive setup. You have to do that manually. So the files on your phone are safe from being accessed like that.
    Thanked by:
    hallux