Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Default Gmail

It seems as though Google update to Gmail has messed it up. Gmail will no longer open attachments on my Note 3 or my wife's S4. I switched to the Samsung email app and attachments open without a problem, is anybody else having the same problem? I have checked the settings in the Gmail app and can't find anything wrong there. I also sent "feedback" to Google. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Gmail

I just sent myself an email from my word address and I was able to open the attachment............on the second try.....lol
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

What kinds of attachments are you trying to open? Perhaps the default app to open attachments needs to change. Try going to Settings>Apps, tapping the Menu button, and tapping on "Clear all app preferences." Then try opening the attachment again, and see if it prompts you to select a default app to open with.

I also wonder if the recent updates to Google Drive have any impact. If the phone was relying on Drive to view an attachment, you might need to install the new Docs and Sheets apps, since Google is now breaking up the various components of Drive into separate apps. This older article does mention that Google Drive is integrated with Gmail for attachments: Gmail Users No Longer Need To Download Attachments, As Google Drive Gets Baked Into The Inbox | TechCrunch
    Bid

I need help with this exact same thing! I'm in Australia if that makes any difference but I've just tried to open a video attachment and image in my Gmail and every single time it shows the screen shot below. This has only just happened this morning! I don't know what I did or what has happened?? Please help as I can't open any of the important attachments I need to!

The amazing Note 3!
    Bid

Quote Originally Posted by Bid View Post
    I need help with this exact same thing! I'm in Australia if that makes any difference but I've just tried to open a video attachment and image in my Gmail and every single time it shows the screen shot below. This has only just happened this morning! I don't know what I did or what has happened?? Please help as I can't open any of the important attachments I need to!

The amazing Note 3!
    The amazing Note 3!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gmail-2014-06-30-09-53-35.jpg  
    Bid

My problem was fixed thanks to a suggestion in another thread! They suggested to download the app called MX Player from the play store and it opened up all my attachments perfectly with no problems! Give it a try!

The amazing Note 3!