Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By mobilecrackers
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3: Phone Doesn't Boot

Hello folks,

I have a ~1.5 year old Samsung Galaxy S3 (North American) rooted, with Cyanogenmod 11 installed.

Ever since installing CM11, my phone has been restarting itself with some regularity.

Today, with over half the battery left, the phone seemingly turned itself off. I do not believe this is an issue with the cyanogenmod OS and I also don't believe the issue is related to the restarting I've been experiencing. These restarts, in the vast majority of occasions, started with a brief freeze, then screen turning off, before the phone automatically starting up again. However, this time, the phone did not freeze before the screen went black, and the phone did not restart itself. I repeatedly tried pressing the power button to unlock, and when that didn't work, I tried long-pressing to either turn the phone off or back on. When that also failed to work, I pulled the battery, and put it back in. The Samsung logo came up, and then the Galaxy S3 logo with the Cyanogenmod logo came up, then the screen went black again.

And this is where I'm at currently. After the screen goes black, I can't get it to come back on. Long pressing the power button does not turn it back on. Only when I pull the battery and put it back in, does the boot process start. Every time, during the first few seconds of the boot process, the phone turns itself off. Sometimes it only lasts until the Samsung logo, sometimes to the GS3/CM logo.

If I plug the phone in, with the battery inserted, I briefly see a battery on the screen, but again, the phone shuts down.
    If I plug the phone in, with the battery out, the LED turns red, the phone vibrates, but nothing happens, and the LED goes out.

I've read about power buttons getting stuck, but this doesn't seem to be the issues since my phone does not go into a boot loop sequence.

I've tried leaving the battery out for an hour or so, but there is no change.

I've also tried pressing power+home+vol down and power+home+vol up, and they seem to work, until again, the phone shuts off. So one of these combinations leads me to warnings about changing OS before shutting down after about the same number of seconds, and the other leads me to the boot logo with the blue text on the top left corner before shutting down.

To me, this doesn't seem to be an issue with software, but with the phone staying powered..somehow.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Galaxy S3: Phone Doesn't Boot

Just so I can rule out stuck power button, can someone with an S3 boot up their phone, and press and hold their power button during the samsung logo splash and during GS3 logo splash, and tell me what happens? I'd expect it to continue booting but just in case..

Quote Originally Posted by AnAndroidDroid View Post
    Just so I can rule out stuck power button, can someone with an S3 boot up their phone, and press and hold their power button during the samsung logo splash and during GS3 logo splash, and tell me what happens? I'd expect it to continue booting but just in case..
    clear cache and data from recovery
    the bootloop the problem solved in my n7000
    Dont' Forget to press Thank you button and like button when you get an answer
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Unfortunately I cannot go into recovery. When I press the button combination, there are blue letters on the top left corner indicating that the phone is going into recovery, but the phone shuts off before getting to recovery.

Also, my issue isn't exactly bootloop, which is why I'm doubting that it's a stuck power button, and I just want to rule it out with more certainty by having someone with an S3 perform what I asked in my previous post.

I'm starting to think maybe the phone is not exactly shutting down when the screen goes black mid-boot. If it were shutting down fully, I think pressing the power button afterwards would start the boot process again. Instead, only pulling and resinserting the battery starts the boot process. Unless there is an issue with the power button, which I don't think is the case, since vol up + home + power does initiate recovery mode (again, pressing the combination after the screen has gone black does not work, but if I replace the battery whilst holding down the buttons, the phone recognizes the button presses, which means it recognizes the power button)

EDIT: never mind, if I put the battery in while holding down ONLY vol up + home button (and NOT power button), the phone still attempts to go into recovery. Maybe the issue IS a stuck power button? Unless the whole point of holding down the power button along with the other two (under normal circumstances) is simply to turn the phone on.
    Last edited by AnAndroidDroid; 05-10-2014 at 09:30 PM.

I'm starting to think maybe the phone is not exactly shutting down when the own the buttons, the phone recognizes the button presses
    EDIT: never mind, if I put the battery in while holding down ONLY vol up + home button (and NOT power button), the phone still attempts to go into recovery. Maybe the issue IS a stuck power button? Unless the whole point of holding down the power button along with the other two (under normal circumstances) is simply
    to turn the phone on.
    Is the problem fixed

Ready to help you
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

The problem is still there. Nothing has changed, I'm just conjecturing, trying to figure out what the issue is..

The problem is still there. Nothing has changed, I'm just conjecturing, trying to figure out what the issue is..
    sorry for the delay
    reflash your firmware using odin
    do not downgrade this will damage the IMEI

Global Posts
    7,436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Sounds like a bad battery. I'd suggest purchasing a replacement and give that a try.
    B. Diddy likes this.

I agree that it sounds like a battery issue.

I think it's not about the battery

Global Posts
    17,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

A simple test if it is the battery is to take it out, place in a flat smooth surface, like the kitchen table without a table cloth and try to spin it. If it does, your battery is bulged and need to be replaced.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy and AnAndroidDroid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Sounds like a bad battery. I'd suggest purchasing a replacement and give that a try.
    This is not the battery problem, he can't enter into recovery mode. Might be the firmware problem.

Ready to help you
    Thanked by:
    AnAndroidDroid likes this.

Global Posts
    17,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by mobilecrackers View Post
    This is not the battery problem, he can't enter into recovery mode. Might be the firmware problem.

Ready to help you
    If the battery is swollen, causing a bad connection, it can cause what looks like a reboot.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    B. Diddy likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

sorry for the delay
    reflash your firmware using odin
    do not downgrade this will damage the IMEI
    I am unable to use odin as the phone's screen turns off a few seconds after going into download mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    A simple test if it is the battery is to take it out, place in a flat smooth surface, like the kitchen table without a table cloth and try to spin it. If it does, your battery is bulged and need to be replaced.
    The battery does indeed spin. Does that necessarily mean that the battery is done for, or just a possibility? I'm just reluctant to spend money on a new battery, only to find out that the issue is elsewhere. I know nothing is certain, but if the battery spins, how likely is it that this is the cause of the issue I'm having, considering that the battery has never before caused any problems for me?
    Last edited by AnAndroidDroid; 05-12-2014 at 11:28 AM.

I am unable to use odin as the phone's screen turns off a few seconds after going into download mode.

The battery does indeed spin. Does that necessarily mean that the battery is done for, or just a possibility? I'm just reluctant to spend money on a new battery, only to find out that the issue is elsewhere. I know nothing is certain, but if the battery spins, how likely is it that this is the cause of the issue I'm having, considering that the battery has never before caused any problems for me?
    Change the battery . It may solve the problem

Ready to help you

Global Posts
    17,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Very likely that is the problem. Had it happen on my S2. Replaced the battery and it was fixed.

Phone Timeline
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

well, I bit the bullet and bought a new battery...unfortunately, experiencing the same issue...

well, I bit the bullet and bought a new battery...unfortunately, experiencing the same issue...
    Check if you can enter recovery mode
    If YOU can, then clear cache again.

Press THANK YOU and LIKE button if you gets the answer
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Check if you can enter recovery mode
    If YOU can, then clear cache again.

Press THANK YOU and LIKE button if you gets the answer
    like I said, the phone attempts to go into recovery, but turns off before getting there, as is the case with normal boot and download mode..
    Last edited by AnAndroidDroid; 05-13-2014 at 01:06 PM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

If I can feel/hear a click when pressing the power button, can I rule out the power button being stuck internally? The fact that the phone starts booting whenever I put the battery in, and that it won't respond to power button presses after it's shut down is making me wonder if it's a stuck power button.

Global Posts
    17,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

If I can feel/hear a click when pressing the power button, can I rule out the power button being stuck internally? The fact that the phone starts booting whenever I put the battery in, and that it won't respond to power button presses after it's shut down is making me wonder if it's a stuck power button.
    It very well may be a stuck button. I was sure the battery was the only culprit (was following Occam's razor theory).

Short of tearing the device apart, I don't know of another way to check for this.

Phone Timeline
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

It very well may be a stuck button. I was sure the battery was the only culprit (was following Occam's razor theory).

Short of tearing the device apart, I don't know of another way to check for this.

I may very well be at a point where I'd have nothing to lose by tearing it apart..

Global Posts
    17,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I may very well be at a point where I'd have nothing to lose by tearing it apart..
    I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos. Could always watch a couple different ones to see how it is done, and if it is worth the effort.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    Thanked by:
    AnAndroidDroid likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos. Could always watch a couple different ones to see how it is done, and if it is worth the effort.

From an SOKP Nexus 5
    I've opened it up, nothing seems out of order, so far as I can tell. Looks like it's time to go with the new phone route

Thanks everyone who chimed in.

Does anyone know if I would be able to take this thing into a repair shop and salvage the data on the device, assuming there's no damage to internal memory?

Global Posts
    17,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I've opened it up, nothing seems out of order, so far as I can tell. Looks like it's time to go with the new phone route

Thanks everyone who chimed in.

Does anyone know if I would be able to take this thing into a repair shop and salvage the data on the device, assuming there's no damage to internal memory?
    Sorry nothing worked out. As for pulling the memory, I am not sure.

Phone Timeline