Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What do I do after rooting??!

Hi, everyone.

I rooted my Galaxy S5 for three reasons:

1) Uninstall TouchWiz
    2) Uninstall all undesired apps that cannot be uninstalled (like the default Internet, Camera, and Gallery apps)
    3) Install the same UI that Google Play edition smartphones run on.

How can I achieve all of the stated goals? I searched the internet for answers and all I get are overly complicated and often convoluted instructions coupled with frustratingly difficult to understand android lingo like ROM, Flashing, etc.

What's the difference between a custom ROM and a custom LAUNCHER? Is the Google Now Launcher in Google Play a ROM as well as a Launcher?

Moreover, where will I get important firmware updates from? Samsung? Google? And will I be able to safely install them?
  2. Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Kim View Post
    Hi, everyone.

1) Uninstall TouchWiz
    2) Uninstall all undesired apps that cannot be uninstalled (like the default Internet, Camera, and Gallery apps)

How can I achieve all of the stated goals? I searched the internet for answers and all I get are overly complicated and often convoluted instructions coupled with frustratingly difficult to understand android lingo like ROM, Flashing, etc.

What's the difference between a custom ROM and a custom LAUNCHER? Is the Google Now Launcher in Google Play a ROM as well as a Launcher?

Moreover, where will I get important firmware updates from? Samsung? Google? And will I be able to safely install them?
    Welcome to the forums.
    I would suggest to install a custom ROM (AOSP based) as opposed to the GPe ROM. It will give you the same look as a Nexus device, and you don't really have to worry about possible compatibility issues. Look for a custom ROM for your model number, and at first I would search CyanogenMod.

A ROM is the actual OS. TouchWiz (Samsung stock ROM) is a skinned version of Android, where as Vanilla Android, or what is found on Nexus devices, is quite bare. A launcher is like a user interface, basically, allowing you to interact with your device.

As far as updates go, you will not get them from Samsung (rooting removes the OTA ability), and there will be no more automatic updates. It will all be up to you to check (although some custom ROMs have an auto check feature), and install.

Global Posts
    30,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: What do I do after rooting??!

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Kim View Post
    Hi, everyone.

1) Uninstall TouchWiz

Welcome to the forums.
    I would suggest to install a custom ROM (AOSP based) as opposed to the GPe ROM. It will give you the same look as a Nexus device, and you don't really have to worry about possible compatibility issues. Look for a custom ROM for your model number, and at first I would search CyanogenMod.

A ROM is the actual OS. TouchWiz (Samsung stock ROM) is a skinned version of Android, where as Vanilla Android, or what is found on Nexus devices, is quite bare. A launcher is like a user interface, basically, allowing you to interact with your device.

As far as updates go, you will not get them from Samsung (rooting removes the OTA ability), and there will be no more automatic updates. It will all be up to you to check (although some custom ROMs have an auto check feature), and install.