Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help restoring Apps after switching from S2 to S3

I got my wife an S3 for Mother's day and tonight, sat down to transfer all of her data from her S2.
    I used the Smart Switch app and along with Contacts, pictures ect. I included her apps. Problem is not all of them switched over. I figured i'd just re-download them again from Google Play Store from the S3, however the apps "appear" to be installed. I've check to see if the missing apps were selected as hidden but there's nothing there. I'm unable to uninstall and reinstall again. Her Gmail app isn't even visible anywhere on the device....have I missed a step in doing the switch from S2 to S3? Should I be signing her out of Google Play on the S2, and if so does anyone know how to go about signing out of Google Play Store. I'm at a total loss on this and ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated here.

Global Posts
    10,451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Help restoring Apps after switching from S2 to S3

Quote Originally Posted by Rob James3532 View Post
    I got my wife an S3 for Mother's day and tonight, sat down to transfer all of her data from her S2.
    I used the Smart Switch app and along with Contacts, pictures ect. I included her apps. Problem is not all of them switched over. I figured i'd just re-download them again from Google Play Store from the S3, however the apps "appear" to be installed. I've check to see if the missing apps were selected as hidden but there's nothing there. I'm unable to uninstall and reinstall again. Her Gmail app isn't even visible anywhere on the device....have I missed a step in doing the switch from S2 to S3? Should I be signing her out of Google Play on the S2, and if so does anyone know how to go about signing out of Google Play Store. I'm at a total loss on this and ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated here.
    If you had the option to sync enabled on the S2 then contacts should automatically appear on the S3 after logging into the device with the same Google account. Same goes for Gmail, Calendar and any other Google service - the data is stored on Google's servers and will automatically appear on the S3.

Regarding all other apps, you won't be able to just copy then move the apps over if the utility you are using can't do a proper backup and restore. Even then, you will be limited to User apps (apps downloaded from the Play Store) since system apps (such as the clock, gmail, contacts, etc.) create conflict when backing up and moving to another device. It's not recommended that you backup and restore system level apps.

To backup all other apps from the Play Store, use Helium, Titanium Backup or My Backup Pro (there may be others, these are the apps I've seen used most frequently). Other apps exists for making a backup of text messages and call logs. If you are having issues with the S3, factory reset it then start over. Let us know if you have further questions.