Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Making or receiving calls causes screen to go black and unresponsive S4 UK

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've just installed 4.4.2 google play edition on my Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505). When i attempt to make a call the screen goes black (i can still see the top task bar (wireless/radio/time)) and i get intermittent vibrations. The call actually processes as my other phones rings, however i hear no audio through the S4. To terminate the call i have to kill the Phone app. The same goes for receiving calls also.

I'm with Three in the UK and my baseband is: I9505XXUEMK9

Would anyone be able to identify what may be causing this issue or how to fix? I've tried to go back to stock via Odin however keep getting failed when it attempts to write. I've also tried different USB cables in different ports and different PCs.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Making or receiving calls causes screen to go black and unresponsive S4 UK

Quote Originally Posted by aceonthewire View Post
    Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've just installed 4.4.2 google play edition on my Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505). When i attempt to make a call the screen goes black (i can still see the top task bar (wireless/radio/time)) and i get intermittent vibrations. The call actually processes as my other phones rings, however i hear no audio through the S4. To terminate the call i have to kill the Phone app. The same goes for receiving calls also.

I'm with Three in the UK and my baseband is: I9505XXUEMK9

Would anyone be able to identify what may be causing this issue or how to fix? I've tried to go back to stock via Odin however keep getting failed when it attempts to write. I've also tried different USB cables in different ports and different PCs.
    Well, It looks like that the problem is with the Play edition ROM itself I think it might be buggy, anyway the solution is to get the stock ROM flashed. I would say try flashing the stock ROM again to your device, I think that you might not be following the appropriate procedure that needs to be followed. Try following all the steps stated over the XDA thread [GUIDE] Unroot/Unbrick, Flash official stock firmware on Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 & I9505 - xda-developers
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Making or receiving calls causes screen to go black and unresponsive S4 UK

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried again, following each step to the letter in that link, using the stock ROM from that page. I also tried with the PIT as suggested. I still get the FAIL message. Below is a screenshot where it errors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making or receiving calls causes screen to go black and unresponsive S4 UK-screen-shot-2014-05-12-10.20.06.png  

I had exactly that problem of the black screen, no audio when I installed 4.4.2 and was using the BT SmartTalk app. The stock phone app was OK but the SmartTalk app was not. I uninstalled two apps, TrustGo A/V and CleanMaster and the problem was gone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This issue happens from a fresh install though, so no other apps installed....

Hi
    I had the same issue a few months ago.
    It is an rooted Galaxy S4 with Google Play Edition - so you get all the OS very early.
    As soon as I installed the latest OS - 4.4.x - I got this black screen.

I thought it is the proximity sensor - so I asked and got a new phone! Which work great!
    Not being 100% sure - I decided not to install 4.4.2

But yesterday I did - and ... the black screen is back.

I tried this trick - I put the phone very close to a strong lamp - the screen is back - I can disconnect the call.
    Away from the light - dark again.

I read in this forum that there is a setting option to disable the proximity sensor.
    I did not find it on the Google Play Edition.
    Any idea? Any app that control this sensor?

Any other suggestion (I prefer to keep my phone unrooted)?

Any why to roll back to the prev OS?

Thanks
    Ori