Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How common are home screen apps in android?

Im a new android user after switching over from iOS, where home screen apps are not allowed. Just was curious how many people use apps on their home screen, and if so what are some good/common ones. Also are home screen apps typically used by the every day android user or for more advanced users?
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: How common are home screen apps in android?

Quote Originally Posted by swaggypete223 View Post
    Im a new android user after switching over from iOS, where home screen apps are not allowed. Just was curious how many people use apps on their home screen, and if so what are some good/common ones. Also are home screen apps typically used by the every day android user or for more advanced users?
    Well, first of all congratz for switching to the Android, and yes in Android home screen can be changed according to your own convenience you can either put your own picture or you could try out some launchers like Buzz launcher, Nova, Next Launcher . With the help of these launcher you can totally customise your device home screen. I almost forget to tell you that these launcher also offers icon packs which can even help you in making your device look like iPhone. But that depends upon you have a look at some launchers I have suggested.

I'm assuming that you're referring to widgets. I have the Gmail widget for a fast peak into emails, Google Now widget, Keep widget for a fast glance an notes, and my favorite and most useful widget, Simple Calender.

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Welcome to the forums.
    If you are referring to widgets, I have 3 on 2 of my homescreens. It really is nice to have something like the weather refreshing itself (I have the interval set to 3 hours).
    I will provide a screen shot in a few minutes.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Screenshot

From an SOKP Nexus 5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How common are home screen apps in android?-1399989459808.jpg  

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I would recommend keeping anything that you feel you need quick access to. If knowing the weather is important, then use a weather widget - be sure to keep the refresh interval conservative to save battery. There are tons (Music player widgets, text messaging widgets, email widgets, etc.) with a lot of customization available to the user. Let us know what you do most often with the device and we'll try to recommend widgets you may like.

Also, note the folders in Golfdriver's screenshot above. Use folders to keep stuff organized. This is no different than having a folder in iOS. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Welcome to Android and to the AC forums! 🙋

What device did you get?
    And I agree with the post below.
    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I would recommend keeping anything that you feel you need quick access to. If knowing the weather is important, then use a weather widget - be sure to keep the refresh interval conservative to save battery. There are tons (Music player widgets, text messaging widgets, email widgets, etc.) with a lot of customization available to the user. Let us know what you do most often with the device and we'll try to recommend widgets you may like.

Also, note the folders in Golfdriver's screenshot above. Use folders to keep stuff organized. This is no different than having a folder in iOS. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!