On my S4 mini, is there an app for Capitalizing, word replacement and accents?

Pagno

May 13, 2014
Visit site
S4 mini - Capitalizing, word replacement and accents

Hello, not even a week ago I've bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and I must say that I'm very satisfied - before this, I was using a Galaxy Wonder which was very slow and full of problems.
So, I use to keep autocapitalize disabled since I use to type a single sentence divided in more messages, and it would feel awkward to read each message capitalized. It works fine except for some words that somehow stay capitalized, especially at the start of the sentence: I'm using Italian dictionary so I can't give examples for you to test, however I've noticed that even with English (UK) dictionary there's this problem. For example, if I want to type a single message with "thanks" written in it, it automatically capitalizes the T because apparently Thanks wants to stay capitalized - but only if it's the first word of the message! And also, if I want to type "i am here", it types "I am Here" instead, capitalizing also the H. Is there any way to fix this? I've tried to do stuff such as deleting the capitalized "Thanks" by longtapping it in the writing screen to then save it uncapitalized: somehow it comes back as capitalized once I retype it. What I'm looking for is a solution that makes my whole text stay uncapitalized, no matter what.

Also, another thing. In my old phone there was a function of word replacement, where if you typed a sequence of characters it would automatically replace it in something else - for example, if I had to type " l'hai " (In Italian, "do you have") I could add it to the word replacement system where if even if I typed "lhai" it would automatically autocorrect it into l'hai, without having to switch my keyboard to symbols and look for the apostrophe. Same with many other words that require accents or apostrophes, such as d?, fa', n?, ... . Using those words as example, I configured my old phone to replace "daa" in d?, "faa" in fa' and "nee" in n? so that I could type quickly those words without having to wait the letter-longpress to open accented letters tab and search for the correct accent. If I'm typing those words without accents they won't be autocorrected because they've got a meaning even without accents but it's different than the meaning I want. If this isn't implemented in S4 mini, is there an app for this? Those words are used very often and each time I need to type them I have to wait for the letter-longpress tab to popup and I have to scan the accents until I find the correct one - this is slow and quite irritating if you're in a hurry to type a message.
I forgot to mention another problem that occurs for the words "s?" and "?": basically both s? and si exist, same with ? and e. The thing is that when I want to type "si" it autocorrects it into "s?" and viceversa, and the same things happens with ? and e. In my old phone if I typed "e" it stayed into "e", without autocorrecting it in "?" because if I wanted to type "?" I just had to write "ee", as I configured into the word replacement thingy. It would be very nice if I could write the "e" letter without accents and keeping it like that without having to wait for the suggestions menu to remove the autocorrect's accent.

I'm thanking everyone in advance for the help, if anyone could solve those problems I'd really, really appreciate it. I'm one who loves to type fast without having to check each time if autocorrect placed the correct accents in my sentences.
Thanks again - have a nice day!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: S4 mini - Capitalizing, word replacement and accents

Hello, welcome to Android Central!

It seems as that the device has "learned" your text input and has included the above mentioned grammar errors as part of predicting your text. It may have been accidental that you at one time input I am Here, so the device things you want a capital H when using those words together. You should be able to long press Here and delete it from your learned dictionary. That should solve that problem.

Regarding the rest, it appears to be a case of mis-learned grammar. Again, likely an error or accidental input and now the device thinks its correct. Try deleting the prediction and see if the problems persist.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463