Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Default android VPN

Hi all, I finally got my android device to connect to my VPN server using NCP vpn client. I am able to connect but am unable to access network shares using es file explorer or connect to remote desktop connection for an in-network computer.

Can anybody help me out here.

Thank you

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default Re: android VPN

There are generally 2 ways to use VPN on our Android device. The 1st commonly used way is to use an App that automates VPN implementation. The second way is to configure VPN in your Android device. Android users commonly prefer to download VPN apps by VPN service providers because they are designed to make the entire VPN implementation and management process as user friendly as possible. I setup VPN thanks to the clear and easy VPN configurations settings. I would like to share these settings (mentioned on VPNRanks a top ranked review site in VPN industry) to all and makes it easy to setup VPN on Android How to Setup VPN on Android through VPN App and Manually
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I browse by ip address. If I browse while connected to the network WiFi it works no problem. But when I try through vpn it doesn't. The vpn is connected though using ncp vpn client to a netgear fvs318 router.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I'm not sure how to find my network settings. I don't believe that it changes because I don't think all traffic is directed through the vpn

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

If I connect to the actual wifi network then yes my ip changes. But using VPN from a remote wifi does not

Global Posts
    20,172 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Your external IP address, when connected through a VPN client, should be the IP address of the network the VPN server is on. and your internal IP address should be the same as one you';d get when connecting to the network by wifi. Something tells me that the VPN server isn't set up correctly. (If you're using a home router as a VPN server it could just not be implemented properly. VPN server isn't an important consideration for router manufacturers.)
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I have a netgear fvs318 router and it works fine through my laptop computer I can connect to the VPN network no problem. But my computer doesn't switch over to the vpn network address either. It's weird because the vpn software on my phone shows as connected.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Anybody have any ideas that could get this working? I am connecting with my android phone through NCP VPN client. I am able to connect through my computer but not through my phone. The VPN connects, as my router shows that my phone is connected but I cannot ping anything within the network.

It is important to get good VPN services that provides quick and easy connectivity on android. I have gone through to multiple user reviews and i believe purevpn and pia are some of the best vpn service providers for android. And these services guide you all configuration settings once you will get the VPN and you will have no issues then. Here are some top VPN services for android.

Global Posts
    20,172 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

There's another consideration here. When you're going through a VPN, you're effectively not on your home wifi network. The wifi network sees encrypted data and doesn't use it, it just passes it out to the internet.

You can be on your home network or you can be on your VPN - you can't be on both at once. (That would defeat the security of the VPN.) It's a pain when you need the VPN but you also need to be able to access the home network. The way you do that is to keep signing in and out of the VPN, as needed.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

but when using vpn on my laptop I'm able to use my home network for Internet browsing and the vpn network just for accessing remote network folders and there is no issue. with the vpn on my phone it says connected but I'm unable to browse the remote network at all.

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

I'm having the same problem. I can connect my Android phone by VPN to my computer, but I can't access any of the local files.

Has there been any resolution to this?

Thanks.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

still no solution that I've found

Seems a bit complicated. I'm using a VPN app on my phone so haven't encountered the same issue. I'm starting to think that there are some issues with the settings or specifications that doesn't match on either of the devices involve, more like compatibility or something. Hope someone could help you about this.

Global Posts
    20,172 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

There are 3 types of connections that are called "VPN". Only one of them actually is a VPN, and you can't see the local network when using it. The others are a SOCKS server or an external "vpn" service. You can see the local network with either of those, but you're not end-to-end secure, the way you are on a real VPN (which is the purpose of a VPN). Saying "I'm on a VPN and can access my local network" is saying "I'm on my local network and I'm not on my local network at the same time", and it's meaningless. If you can access your local network you're not on a VPN, you're on a "vpn service", which is a totally different thing. (People use the wrong words to define things, then everyone else has to live with the confusion.) A VPN server that you connect to with a browser is not a Virtual Private Network, it's a server that makes your connections look as if they're coming from somewhere else.

Telling you why this or that is or isn't happening, without knowing what you're actually doing (IOW, whether you're on a VPN or not) is impossible.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I see, thank you for the explanation on that I had no idea that a true VPN works that way. I guess that would mean I'm not using a real VPN since the way I have my router setup is to allow me to access the remote network while still using my local networks internet. I do know that I require an IPSEC client to connect to the remote network as that is what I use on my laptop and it works just fine. With my phone though, for some reason even after it says connected it will not access the remote network files. Btw, using a netgear fvs318v3 router.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

sajid that looks like a remote desktop client. does it also do vpn connections?

Global Posts
    20,172 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by poko2121 View Post
    I see, thank you for the explanation on that I had no idea that a true VPN works that way. I guess that would mean I'm not using a real VPN since the way I have my router setup is to allow me to access the remote network while still using my local networks internet.
    That's the normal operation - you can access the internet and your local network at the same time - it has nothing to do with a VPN. Your local network has devices at a local IP address, but it's all the same to the phone or computer.

I do know that I require an IPSEC client to connect to the remote network as that is what I use on my laptop and it works just fine. With my phone though, for some reason even after it says connected it will not access the remote network files. Btw, using a netgear fvs318v3 router.
    You'll need an IPSEC client for the same kind of VPN on the phone. Contact the VPN provider to see if there is one. (For instance, a client that will connect to a Cisco AnyConnect server might not connect to another VPN server.) You might try https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rvpnclientfree Unfortunately, ShrewSoft (my favorite VPN client) doesn't have an Android version.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

thanks rukbat but that app is more of an instructional app on how to connect using androids built in vpn client. which I know does not support ipsec. so far ncp vpn client is the only application I found that can make the connection successfully. it's just that for some reason once it says its connected I still cannot access network shares.

Global Posts
    20,172 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Check with the network admin. Once you connect to the VPN server you may have to log in to the network, or remotely connect to one of the computers physically on the network, before you can access anything on the network. It depends on how they set the network up.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I had set it up myself actually . just a small office network with the vpn setup through a netgear router. I do use a Windows domain and have a username and password needed to connect. but I can't get access to the server once the client connects. from my laptop I connect with an ipsec client called ipsecuritas.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

It's working! The NCP vpn client had a software update and I disabled the PFS group on the vpn configuration and I can browse the network now!

Thank you to all who took the time to help

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

Are you using a free version (if so what is it called - I couldn't find it). I would like to test it out before I buy.

If not, are you using the regular $3.35, or premium $29.90 version.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

yes it's only the two versions. I have the regular one for $3.35. You can download and test it out and you have a certain amount of time where you can uninstall the app and google gives you a refund.

Hi, It seems that there's a problem in your VPN client. The best thing to do here is manually configure VPN on your Android device. You can follow the following steps:

1. got to settings
    2. tap "More..." which is below "Data options"
    3. Select "VPN" option
    4. on the top right corner, you'll see a "+" sign. Tap it.
    5. Enter your desired name like ‘NCP VPN’ in “Name”, ‘L2TP/IPSec PSK’ in “Type”, and in “Server Address” field, enter your desired server address. You can get the server list from your VPN provider.
    6. Scroll down, and in “IPSec pre-shared key” option, enter the key provided by your VPN provider and Save settings.
    7. Now tap on your newly established VPN profile
    8. Enter your ‘Username’ and “Password” and Tap on “Connect”

Let me know if this works or not.

If this doesn't work, I would suggest changing your VPN provider. You might want to try Express, Pure or Ivacy VPN. Ivacy I think is the best VPN for android software.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast